Also can not lower pH

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Split by moderator. Make your own thread for your own questions and don't hijack other people's threads. Thanks, jblizzle

Hey all, dont want to start a new thread...I can't seem to get my ph down as well after a new fill in a brand new pool.

I filled from my home water supply this past Saturday, as my builder showed up on Monday and we tested the water (Taylor k2005 kit), FC and CYA were at 0 (naturally), TA at 80, TH at 100, but pH pretty much off he charts, definitely way over 8.4
The only chemicals in so far were: 1.5 gallons of startup-tec (I added 1/2 gallon more by mistake) was told its no problem.

So, right away (Monday) we added a gallon of muriatic acid and dropped 3 trichlore tablets into a skimmer.
Tuesday - same pH result - half gallon more of muriatic acid.
Wednesday - same pH result - 1 gallon more of acid and 25 pounds of calcium chloride to get the TH up.
Thursday (today) - half gallon more of acid and 4 more trichlore tablets.
Also about to add cyanuric acid as today is the day I supposed to add it as told by the pool guy.

I haven't tested yet since I've added more muriatic acid, will test in the morning.

The water still looks nice and clear, it I'm starting to worry about not being able to get pH down and therefore not having enough chlorine in there. My builder is out of town this week and I can't get a hold of his service manager.

Maybe this is the normal because its a new plaster... but i dont remember builder mentioning anything, or maybe i just missed it.

Any suggestions?

Oh yea, the pool is 19200 gallons, gunite with diamond brite.

Re: Can't get my PH to go down (Update)

You can measure pH about half an hour after adding acid. If you add acid and brush, by the time you're done brushing, it's mixed as well as it will ever be, and you can test right then.

You're living on borrowed time - you need to get some bleach in there to raise FC before it turns green.

pH and FC are independent of each other, by the way. High FC will mess up the test results, but won't actually change the pH; FC works better at a reasonable pH.

Thanks Richard,
I will get bleach in there tomorrow (how much?) if pH is still high.

the question i still have is why in the heck my pH is so Dang high and how much muriatic acid i will need to go through to get it down... I'm afraid there maybe another factor i'm missing here thats keeping the PH high... im a noooooob :)

Azmp1 said:
Thanks Richard,
I will get bleach in there tomorrow (how much?) if pH is still high.

the question i still have is why in the heck my pH is so **** high and how much muriatic acid i will need to go through to get it down... I'm afraid there maybe another factor i'm missing here thats keeping the PH high... im a noooooob :)
It's the new plaster. For that matter, you might have gobs of alkaline dust in the filter, neutralizing the acid.

Ah! Well that explains it!!! Maybe my builder did tell me that, i just missed it. I suppose thats explains it why he left me 8 gallons of Muriatic acid! How much time (and acid) does it usually take for it to finally go down?

Does brushing has anything to do with it as well? I've only been brushing once a day, since i was told with startup-tec i don't have to do twice a day.

And i will clean the filter tomorow

Azmp1 said:
Ah! Well that explains it!!! Maybe my builder did tell me that, i just missed it. I suppose thats explains it why he left me 8 gallons of Muriatic acid! How much time (and acid) does it usually take for it to finally go down?

Does brushing has anything to do with it as well? I've only been brushing once a day, since i was told with startup-tec i don't have to do twice a day.

And i will clean the filter tomorow
I don't know. I have plain vanilla white plaster. But if I was you, I'd do a search for "Diamondbrite" and maybe startup and see what comes up in history.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.