1st in-ground pool - need help! Lots of questions!

redintex

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2012
Central Texas
I have learned essentially everything I know about pools here, and am in awe of the expertise on TFP!!! I lurk a lot and post very little, as my knowledge has certainly been limited to this point. What I do know has been on AGP, so I am definitely a newbie for IGP...

After maintaining the 15' AGP as noted in my signature line, we have decided to take the plunge :shock: (I know...) and get an in-ground pool. Found a PB we like, and are looking at a 16x32 vinyl lined pool. I would like to post the proposed specs, then seek advice from the experts here!

INCLUDED IN THIS PROPOSAL;

16 X 32 POLYMER WALLED POOL
42" WALLS
3 FT TO 6 FT APPROX. DEPTH
27 MIL LINER (MOUNTAINTOP/BLUE MOSAIC)
2 FT RADIUS CORNERS
8 FT WHITE ACRYLIC STEPS
POOLKRETE BOTTOM
ALUMINUM COPING
3 FT 6 IN WIDE DECK
GRAY STAMPED CONCRETE
4 FT ALL SAFE BLACK SAFETY FENCE WITH 1 GATE
SALT SYSTEM
LED LIGHT
1 HANDRAIL
1 LADDER
1.5 HP PUMP
300 LB SAND FILTER
1 TIMER
DX4 CLEANER
MAINTENANCE KIT
2 RETURNS
1 SET OF MAIN DRAINS

EXCLUDED FROM THIS PROPOSAL;

WATER
COVERS
WATER FEATURES
SWIMOUTS
SLIDES
SUB PANEL FOR ELECTRIC
IRRIGATION REPAIRS
LANDSCAPING REPAIRS

1. How does this look overall?

2. We are thinking about adding a Cozy Cove to the above proposal. What is everyone's experience with those?

3. We were considering a diving board, and if we did, the depth would be 8'. We had decided against it simply because of the possibility of injuries. Is this justified or hype? I have spoken with my insurance company and they said that it won't affect anything on their end - just that we may want to have higher liability.

4. We have a toddler, which was the main reason for the fence, as well as any possible other toddlers. We are in a rural area, with just a few houses and a couple of small children. Already have a privacy fence. Our initial reaction is: Yes, we must have the safety fence!!!! I also acknowledge that we run firmly on the side of being over-protective. Thoughts on the safety fence?

5. We are also considering a pool cover. The PB normally uses All-Safe for the fences and covers. Thoughts on the cover? No trees in our back yard, but a few outside of our fence line.

6. We are divided on stamped concrete or aggregate. Wife likes sc, and I like aggregate. Pros/cons of each?

7. PB normally uses Pentair equipment. Thoughts?

I know that I am deluging y'all with questions and I feel like this: :hammer: ; however, I really am putting pride aside to ask for input to ensure we are on the right track. As everyone is aware, this is a huge investment and we want to do it right the first time.

We are very excited :party: :party: :whoot: :whoot: and anxious all at the same time.

Few things I can add:

You should HIGHLY consider a two speed pump.

I also have a toddler and am putting up a safety fence.

You might want to widen your deck to at least 4'

Not sure two returns in enough...maybe, I have 4 in mine, with a set a main drains.

Congrats on the start of your project!

I am sure it will be a positive experience and go fairly smoothly. My only piece of advice is to make sure you have enough deck space. I have a ton around my pool that we are building but even then after laying out where the furniture will go it gets crowded in a hurry!

In addition to what has been mentioned already I would tend to say 4 ft as a minimum deck width, 5 or 6 would be better if you have the room, narrow decks around pools seem to be an all too common problem, and potential safety issue as it encourages walking (or running) close to the side of the pool, and the path width is even narrower where the ladders, etc. are located. As to your diving board question, I tend to feel diving boards are not safe in most residential pools, there simply is not enough deep water, my 20x40 ft pool has a diving board and the 8.5 ft depth and distance to the slope going to the shallow end is marginal for its use, particularly with guest that don't have a good feel for the size and shape of the pool. Over the years (pool is 33 years old) there have been a handful of accidents and near accidents associated with the diving board, these have included a diving board breaking in half when a 270 pound man jumped on it (no injury, but you can see the potential there), a teen age girl clipping the slope to the shallow end face first almost loosing some teeth, thankfully she had braces which help hold the teeth in, which cut a finger sized hole in the liner in about 5 ft of water (she had to keep the braces for an extra 6-8 months due to the incident though), and a pre-teen boy breaking his arm when he jumped in feet first too close to the board and hit his arm on the way down to the water.

OK - I REALLY appreciate the good advice so far. I am still open to input and advice!!!

Here are some of the changes - definitely going with the fence, nixed the diving board (the PB also said that the pool was BARELY large enough for the diving board, and that the drop-off was pretty steep for that. Isaac - thanks for the real-world experience - that is exactly what I was looking for, and made whatever thoughts about the DB vanish into thin air!). I am also a pretty good sized fella, and the diving board breaking in half doesn't sound like a fun time...

Decided on enlarging the deck to 4 ft. With the placement of the pool and part of the yard, we feel that will be sufficient. The decking will also tie in to our covered back porch.

We also decided on a two speed pump, especially after the advice given and research done here. Will also have the "cozy cove" - I think we will use that a lot!

We now have that anxious feeling that we want the project finished tomorrow!!! We do realize it doesn't work like that, but I know that y'all know the feeling!!!

Thanks again, and additional comments are welcome!

toofast said:
Awesome changes....good luck and any other questions, keep them coming. You will LOVE your 2 speed pump.

Thanks - I am sure that I will have many more questions to come. That's what I appreciate most about this community - the helpful nature of everyone here!

:cheers:

I am even excited about starting my own build thread!!! :whoot:

Nice to know you've 86ed the DB.
And glad to note you're enlarging the deck.
On our deck we have 3', 4', 5', and 7' wide areas.
The 3' areas are just too tight for comfortable walking, and even for comfortable cleaning of the pool. The 4' walkway is only marginally better but still should be the very minimum, IMO.
Given the option, I'd recommend 5' wide or wider, which is not really even wide enough to easily walk in front of someone seated in a patio chair.
Do make sure you have a spot for a couple of lounge chairs and a small table, even if that's on the grass near the covered back porch. Sometimes you and/or your guests will want to lounge with a drink or snack!
All just my opinion, based on our experience, thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We will certainly look at the layout and ensure that we have another place to sit outside of the porch. Thanks for that observation!

Regarding a pool cover for an in-ground, is that something that can be easily added later? It seems that it would be the easiest thing to add later...thoughts?

The cozy cove, that's the half a hot tub in side of pool right? I'm just wondering...are you Gonna use it? I know I don't like my hot tub when it's cold/cool. Have you thought about how pool water temps will affect you enjoyment of all that massaging water?

Have you looked into auto covers?

Do you have a diagram of whole backyard?

I think the cozy cove will be the most used part by us adults, especially the older the kids get(i.e., less need to be right there holding them, etc).

I think the auto cover will be out of our budget - looks like they start at about 5k and go way up from there...

No diagram of the backyard...yet. Have an AGP as noted below, 16x24 deck around the pool, 12x16 storage building, trampoline with safety net, and a large swing set/slide/climbing wall play set. I will work something up when I get a chance...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.