Doh! What happened to my water?

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
We bought this house about a month ago, haven't switched to BBB yet, just using 3" pucks (two in each skimmer and they last 5-7 days approx.). Water has been crystal clear.. until today. Water is extremely cloudy which I am guessing is high CYA. Only recent change is I tool the four filter cartridges out and cleaned them with a hose late last week. What that cause this? Any idea how to remedy other than partial drain?

9156035668_6975773a09_b.jpg

Welcome! :wave:

I'll wager you have high CYA (stabilzer) levels and low Chlorine levels. If you don't get some bleach in there fast, you'll be posting pictures that show a pool this color

Do you have any method of testing the pool?

Have you visited

At this point, we can't even guess what to tell you - we have no idea what the readings are nor even how big the pool is. But it almost certainly involves lots of bleach.

Test kit on the way.. I was using strips so chlorine levels shouldn't be too low.. forgot to mention that I forgot to put the top piece back on over the filter cartdridges. it's back on there now.. but could that be the culprit? Maybe it has nothing to do with the filter.. I just can't believe the water would turn cloudy so quick!

jjdurrant said:
Test kit on the way.. I was using strips so chlorine levels shouldn't be too low.. forgot to mention that I forgot to put the top piece back on over the filter cartdridges. it's back on there now.. but could that be the culprit? Maybe it has nothing to do with the filter.. I just can't believe the water would turn cloudy so quick!

That could certainly be a significant factor. If you are killing algae but not filtering it out, the water would turn a teal or blue/green color.

Regards,

Jay

I am making progress. I have recycled about a third of the water and am continuing to use powered shock. Water is clearing up and test strips show 10+ ppm each time. Wish I knew he actual number though!

You have enough posts here to not take this wrong, continuing to use dry chlorine products with a pool that looks like that is sort of like a person that suspects they have diabetes saying I will just finish eating this truck load of candy I have squirrelled away before I go to the doctor and have a check up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.