Neighbor's + Pool-Hopping + Algae

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
Our next door neighbor has an Intex that he puts up every year and every year it goes green. He drains, refills, etc several times per season. This year it went green within 10 days and he's letting it stay that way because his kids and their friends don't mind it. (I have given him this website, I have taken over my kit and tested his water, I shown him the whole 10 minute process of getting my kit, testing FC, CC, and pH, adding chemicals, and putting kit away). He says he'll learn it someday. But apparently not this year.

This year, my kids are older and now play with his kids. My kids aren't allowed to go to his yard, though, because I'm not ready to let them swim unsupervised like his slightly older kids do. So.......... now his kids and their friends swim all day in his green pool and when my kids get home with me after work, his kids and their friends want to come play with my kids in our sparkly pool.

Tonight is the first night this inevitable scenario played out and his kids are now in my pool, presumably in the same swimsuits that were in his green pool. What is the risk to my beautiful water? Do I just test like normal and only bump it up if I get a bunch of CC, or should I assume I have an issue and bump it up slightly over normal target, or do I need to take it to shock? This will likely recur several times per week.

My numbers as of last evening (pre-neighbor-invasion):

CYA 20+
FC 4
CC 0
TA 170
CH 210
Temp tonight 89
Salt about 700

Thanks for any help in walking the line between letting my kids play with nice kids whose dad keeps icky water, and protecting my beautiful water.

Richard320 said:
Add a couple extra PPM tonight and see what you have tomorrow. Algae suits or not, a pool full of kids are going to wreak havoc on the FC. As we used to say at the Scout Camp, things would be so perfect if it weren't for those kids!
LOL,scout camp eh? You should toss in a Vaseline covered watermelon for fun!

I think I'd rather have the kids than 2 drunk adults taking a bath in my pool (pre TFP days)

Omg... the shock n horror I saw!!! I had ex husband deal with them as they were his friends! :shock:

:mrgreen: LOL

What a site I tell ya... I didn't get pics! They were thrown out! OMG... The memories. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.