Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Neighbor's + Pool-Hopping + Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Neighbor's + Pool-Hopping + Algae

Our next door neighbor has an Intex that he puts up every year and every year it goes green. He drains, refills, etc several times per season. This year it went green within 10 days and he's letting it stay that way because his kids and their friends don't mind it. (I have given him this website, I have taken over my kit and tested his water, I shown him the whole 10 minute process of getting my kit, testing FC, CC, and pH, adding chemicals, and putting kit away). He says he'll learn it someday. But apparently not this year.

This year, my kids are older and now play with his kids. My kids aren't allowed to go to his yard, though, because I'm not ready to let them swim unsupervised like his slightly older kids do. So.......... now his kids and their friends swim all day in his green pool and when my kids get home with me after work, his kids and their friends want to come play with my kids in our sparkly pool.

Tonight is the first night this inevitable scenario played out and his kids are now in my pool, presumably in the same swimsuits that were in his green pool. What is the risk to my beautiful water? Do I just test like normal and only bump it up if I get a bunch of CC, or should I assume I have an issue and bump it up slightly over normal target, or do I need to take it to shock? This will likely recur several times per week.

My numbers as of last evening (pre-neighbor-invasion):

CYA 20+
    FC 4
    CC 0
    TA 170
    CH 210
    Temp tonight 89
    Salt about 700

Thanks for any help in walking the line between letting my kids play with nice kids whose dad keeps icky water, and protecting my beautiful water.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Neighbor's + Pool-Hopping + Algae

Add a couple extra PPM tonight and see what you have tomorrow. Algae suits or not, a pool full of kids are going to wreak havoc on the FC. As we used to say at the Scout Camp, things would be so perfect if it weren't for those kids!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Add a couple extra PPM tonight and see what you have tomorrow. Algae suits or not, a pool full of kids are going to wreak havoc on the FC. As we used to say at the Scout Camp, things would be so perfect if it weren't for those kids!
    LOL,scout camp eh? You should toss in a Vaseline covered watermelon for fun!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, those darn kids always wanting to have fun! I will bump it up and cross my fingers. Thanks!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

5. Back To Top    #5

No verdict yet on the FC, but pH sure saw an increase. Bring on the acid!

6. Back To Top    #6

I think I'd rather have the kids than 2 drunk adults taking a bath in my pool (pre TFP days)

Omg... the shock n horror I saw!!! I had ex husband deal with them as they were his friends!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Casey, notice no one has posted:

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL

What a site I tell ya... I didn't get pics! They were thrown out! OMG... The memories.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter