Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borax

1. Back To Top    #1

Borax

Hey all,

Pool is looking great. I'm still a little confused about whether I should add borax. Can you explain why I would use it and how much to add. I don't think the TF-100 tests for it, does it?

Thanks
    20K gal. IG. vinyl. 21" Hayward sand. 3/4 hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borax

You would need a separate test. It is completely optional. It is really meant to help slow down the pH rise. But some people like that the water is more sparkly and feels smoother ... others do not notice much difference.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can read up on it here: so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

For what it's worth, I've never added Borax to my pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

That's worth a lot! Looks like it's the BB method for me as well.

Thanks to you also Jbizzle.
    20K gal. IG. vinyl. 21" Hayward sand. 3/4 hp

5. Back To Top    #5

It really does make the most sense for people with SWG and/or a lot of water features which aerate the water and drive the pH up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

In case I am confused....isn't "Borax is available as 20 Mule TeamŽ Borax Natural Laundry Booster" used to RAISE the pH ?

And increasing the "borate" level two different things ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

7. Back To Top    #7

Borax is used for 2 things. In small quantities, borax is used to raise pH. In large quantities, and in combination with muriatic acid, it is used to increase borates.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

8. Back To Top    #8

Same product. Yes it raises pH. You counter that with a lot of acid when you are adding borates for the pH buffering.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I used it just to raise pH, it works well for that, you can also use Washing Soda to raise pH and it won't add borates to the water. I'm not too worried about adding borates to the water, you need 40-50 ppm to be beneficial, but that requires a lot of borax and acid over time to balance. Small amounts of Borax won't help or hinder maintenance of youf pool.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter