Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC Level to maintain

1. Back To Top    #1

FC Level to maintain

Following the recommendations through Simple Pool app (and elsewhere) for my CYA of about 42, I need a minimum FC of 3, target of 5, and max of 7. I test FC daily or every other day.

It is my understanding that I never want to get below FC of 3.0, or run the risk of algae to start growing. Over the last month, I have dropped as low as 2.5 twice.

Is it best to try to maintain 5.0 with daily bleach addition, or is it ok to increase to 5 (or 7), and don't add until it reaches 3 or 3.5? At higher FC levels, I think I remember reading that the FC drop is greater, but I cannot find evidence of this statement right now.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, cartridge filter, Jandy Legacy 175,000 BTU heater, unused Zodiak Nature2 mineral sanitizer

John 1:12 "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC Level to maintain

If you always test and dose at the same time each day, and you find yourself coming up short, then target a slightly higher FC. The rate of loss difference between 5.5 and 5 is negligible; the rate of loss difference between 15 and 5 is huge.

It's safe to swim up to shock levels, so targeting a higher number isn't a big deal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

There is not really a max , keep it below shock level. The key is to always stay above the minimum ... target what you need to keep it above the minimum. But if you are losing more than 3ppm in a day, that could be a sign of problems.

The CYA kinds sets a % of FC that will be lost to the sun each day. So if the FC is higher, for the same CYA, you will lose a little more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    There is not really a max , keep it below shock level. The key is to always stay above the minimum ... target what you need to keep it above the minimum. But if you are losing more than 3ppm in a day, that could be a sign of problems.

The CYA kinds sets a % of FC that will be lost to the sun each day. So if the FC is higher, for the same CYA, you will lose a little more.
    Thanks for your replies. I am only loosing about 1 or 1.5ppm per day depending on usage. I will probably adjust my method to target 7 instead of 5, and add more at 4 or 4.5.

Once all this rain stops, I will also have to recheck CYA. We have received over 10 inches of rain in the last week, so that is tending to decrease my CYA level.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, cartridge filter, Jandy Legacy 175,000 BTU heater, unused Zodiak Nature2 mineral sanitizer

John 1:12 "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"