Liner replacement on 27'

We bought this house in '06, no idea how old the liner was, but it looked good.

2 summers ago, we started having issues with small leaks, which we tracked down and patched. Last summer, it got worse, we had to patch at least 7 or 8 leaks, and a couple of them were pretty large.

Over the winter, the pool drained almost all the way. I added water a couple of times, but soon realized that it was losing 8 hours worth of filling in two nights. Not being able to afford those water bills, and with the weather too cold to try to track down the leaks, I let it drain completely. I tried to fill it carefully this spring, and managed to get enough water in it for my son and I to find and patch 4 new leaks, as well as remove the patches from the last two years and replace them. We got about 18 inches of water in the pool, and then one day I got up to check the pool and add more water, and saw that I now had a rip about halfway up the wall that was about 2 feet long. :cry:

So, I ordered a liner from PoolSupplies.com - I am not the most handy guy in the world, but I can do things like building PCs and changing out brake pads on my car. I cannot afford to have the liner professionally installed.

Is this something I can do myself, and have it turn out reasonably well, so that it might last 5 -10 years, when I should be able to afford a premium liner and professional installation? How many people do I need to help me get the liner installed?

I am unemployed and in college full-time, so finances are nonexistent at this point. My mom and brother live with us, and they paid for the liner.

Also, due to the leaks, I have several low spots that need filled in. Is play sand OK for this? What is the best way to fill it in and get it compacted where it stays fairly level?

What else should I do to be prepared for installation when my liner arrives?

One last thing, what do I do about the rust on my walls? It's not real bad, but there are a few places that are starting to rust.

I am sure that I will have many more questions when the liner gets here. Thanks in advance for your help!

Installing an above ground pool liner can be a do it yourself job, but you will need extra hands (2-3 people) to help you. You want to make sure the sand is clean of any sharp rocks or sticks that can damage the liner. You can use a sander or grinder to remove as much surface rust as possible, prime it and paint it with a rust inhibiting paint. If the surface is rough after you have removed as much rust as possible and painted, cover the area with duct tape before installing the liner.

There are several youtube videos on installing liners for above ground pools. Watch a few and see if it looks like something you feel you could do.

Yeah, I have been watching videos most of the afternoon. Looks a little daunting, mainly just worried about my walls collapsing while I have the stabilizer off of the top. Fortunately, my pool is 60% surrounded by a deck, which should help a little with stability.

I can't afford a pad to put under the pool, but I thought of using the bottom of my old liner. Anybody have any thoughts on that? Also, again, is play sand OK to use to fill the low spots?

Play sand tends to have some pebbles in it. If you are willing to sift out the pebbles it should work. How large are the washed out areas?

You can use the old liner under the new one if you want, but it won't make much difference in the feel of the pool.

Yeah, I am planning on sifting out the pebbles. There are three different low spots. One of them isn't too bad, but the others are several inches deep and 2 or three square feet.

The old liner as a pad idea was strictly to protect my new liner from sharp rocks making their way up through the sand and as a barrier against plant growth, etc. We were fine with the feel of the old liner on sand, just want a little protection so that hopefully this cheap liner will last a few years until I can afford a premium liner and professional installation. Of course, if the install goes well, we might just do the premium liner ourselves in a few years! :goodjob:

What type of liner is this... I am talking about the bead... or lack there of. It makes a difference in how you install.

Is it an overlap? An overlap is one large piece of vinyl without any border, it requires clips on the top edge of the pool that are covered by the top rails. Overlaps typically show on the outside of the pools walls.

A beaded line may or may not have border print but will have a plastic clip or bead attached to the "top" of the liner walls. Beaded liners do not typically show outside the pool. Some have receivers the bead clips into, some have self hanging beads.

Use a SHOP VAC!!! It will suck the air right out from behind the liner and help remove wrinkles! :goodjob:

We had ours installed but I do know we could have easily handled it ourselves as we had deer on several occasions jump in our IG pool and we replaced that liner pretty much effortlessly. I would think an IG is actually a bit easier in some respects because you don't have to worry about a gust taking your sides down. Our AGP was a surprise for my 6 year old so I wanted it excavated, leveled up and filled while she went to the sitters and I went to work.

Make sure you have a very warm day ~ lay your liner out to warm. It will cooperate better.

Make sure you have several sets of capable hands, who are quick thinkers and able to move around quickly if needed.

Do not attempt to install the new liner if you have winds / gusts of wind because it can buckle and/or take your sides out.

Have fill water ready because when that liner is put in and up you don't want it to sit empty.

The guys I had worked together and had ours in, in a jiffy. They monitored the wind and did not begin until they were sure it wouldn't be a problem. Once they were as sure as they could be they went with the bungee method ~ each section had a bungee that went from wall to the ground so if a pair of hands wasn't there the bungee held things until a person could get there and stabilize. It did end up we had a gust and they all were right on it so we didn't have a catastrophe. A gust of wind comes and your crew isn't paying attention it could present a problem. Those walls can buckle quickly with what doesn't even seem to be more than a breeze.

They really took time to get the bottom just so with a compactor and a tamper. Once they had it fashioned & the liner in we used our garden hose to put the first bit of water in and I believe they used toilet plungers to keep it from wrinkling/ correct some slippage that came about when the water started to come in. Once they were pleased with the bottom they allowed my fill truck to start filling.

DIY projects are great! They can save you bucks which is awesome, but learning something & the feeling of accomplishment probably outweighs the cash it saves. Try not to be intimidated, keep watching the youtube videos for ideas that will allow you to see the more common problems folks deal with when putting theirs in. I know our neighbors did theirs no problem and they are looking to now replace their liner I think they got 15 years out of it & won't even think twice about doing it themselves. It will be a Dad, his wife and their daughter who undertake this. Get your helpers on the same page, make sure they are aware of the what to be mindful of, give everyone their section to focus on, work with and deal with the problems that arise in their section, but also ready to assist should something get away from the people working beside them ~ and it should go really well for you.

Keep us posted ~ I have faith you can do this :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.