Should I hook pool filler to water softener?

chiefwej

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 12, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
A bit of background

I have very hard water. The fill water CH varies between 150 and 250. Evaporation rates can be an inch or more daily during the summer. Pool stays open and uncovered year round. The net result is my CH levels get very high. My current CH current level is 1,050. I have thus far used what I have learned here to keep my CSI at or near zero and my pool scale free. But as the CH get higher that becomes more and more difficult.

I have scheduled an RO treatment of the pool, with a goal of bringing my CH under 100. Once this is done, I am considering having my pool's auto fill supply moved to my water softener output.

Good idea, or not?

I certainly think it would be a good idea. You're softener should be able to keep up with the evaporation rate, and with a DE filter you can opt to dismantle and clean it when it needs it rather than lose water to baskwash.

A BIG +1 to what bama said!!

With the high rate of evaporation in Tucson (do you lose as much as 1/2" daily?) you possibly could skip the R/O and just allow your near zero CH refill to bring CH down.

Seems like you may get it down to 500 by the end of the swim season if you evaporate as much as I think you might.

duraleigh said:
A BIG +1 to what bama said!!

With the high rate of evaporation in Tucson (do you lose as much as 1/2" daily?) you possibly could skip the R/O and just allow your near zero CH refill to bring CH down.

Seems like you may get it down to 500 by the end of the swim season if you evaporate as much as I think you might.
What? Just because he's adding zero CH water doesn't mean the Calcium evaporated. You need a break. ::epds::

If topping off with softened water, is there any concern that the sodium (from the ion exchange) will build up?

I have a salt pool and I'm still baffled as to what happens after the sodium/chlorine get split by the cell (do they recombine back to na/cl?)

Will all that extra NA eventually cause a problem?

I'm in Southern CA.
Very little rain. Never drain off excess water.
Cartridge filters.
Fill water is 300ppm+
Water is now over 1100ppm

Would one of the "pool softening" treatments solve my problem (for the short term)?

Rickster1 said:
If topping off with softened water, is there any concern that the sodium (from the ion exchange) will build up?

I have a salt pool and I'm still baffled as to what happens after the sodium/chlorine get split by the cell (do they recombine back to na/cl?)

Will all that extra NA eventually cause a problem?

I'm in Southern CA.
Very little rain. Never drain off excess water.
Cartridge filters.
Fill water is 300ppm+
Water is now over 1100ppm

Would one of the "pool softening" treatments solve my problem (for the short term)?
The only treatment that will work is reverse osmosis, which is pricey and very limited in availability. If you live near San Diego, you might be in luck. Otherwise, the cure is drain and refill.

1100 CH is high enough that you will have a hard time preventing scaling. It might even be impossible if you keep the pH in the comfort zone. You'll need to do something.

My chemistry is a bit rusty but I believe it is the water as a solvent which separates (dissolves) the salt into sodium and chloride ions and not the SWG cell. The SWG cell converts the chloride ions into chlorine gas which then dissolves into the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark is correct. The sodium from the salt is irrelevant with regard to the SWG system except in providing charge balance and conductivity. The sodium does not change chemically. It is the chlorine that goes from chloride (salt) to chlorine (disinfectant) back to chloride again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.