Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I hook pool filler to water softener?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Should I hook pool filler to water softener?

A bit of background

I have very hard water. The fill water CH varies between 150 and 250. Evaporation rates can be an inch or more daily during the summer. Pool stays open and uncovered year round. The net result is my CH levels get very high. My current CH current level is 1,050. I have thus far used what I have learned here to keep my CSI at or near zero and my pool scale free. But as the CH get higher that becomes more and more difficult.

I have scheduled an RO treatment of the pool, with a goal of bringing my CH under 100. Once this is done, I am considering having my pool's auto fill supply moved to my water softener output.

Good idea, or not?
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I hook pool filler to water softener?

I certainly think it would be a good idea. You're softener should be able to keep up with the evaporation rate, and with a DE filter you can opt to dismantle and clean it when it needs it rather than lose water to baskwash.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

A BIG +1 to what bama said!!

With the high rate of evaporation in Tucson (do you lose as much as 1/2" daily?) you possibly could skip the R/O and just allow your near zero CH refill to bring CH down.

Seems like you may get it down to 500 by the end of the swim season if you evaporate as much as I think you might.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    A BIG +1 to what bama said!!

With the high rate of evaporation in Tucson (do you lose as much as 1/2" daily?) you possibly could skip the R/O and just allow your near zero CH refill to bring CH down.

Seems like you may get it down to 500 by the end of the swim season if you evaporate as much as I think you might.
    What? Just because he's adding zero CH water doesn't mean the Calcium evaporated. You need a break.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, time to send Dave down for his nap
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If anyone needs to contact me, I will be hiding under my desk for the foreseeable future.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

If topping off with softened water, is there any concern that the sodium (from the ion exchange) will build up?

I have a salt pool and I'm still baffled as to what happens after the sodium/chlorine get split by the cell (do they recombine back to na/cl?)

Will all that extra NA eventually cause a problem?

I'm in Southern CA.
    Very little rain. Never drain off excess water.
    Cartridge filters.
    Fill water is 300ppm+
    Water is now over 1100ppm

Would one of the "pool softening" treatments solve my problem (for the short term)?
    16,000 Gallon IG, Salt, Pebble-Sheen. All Pentair. Easy Touch automation, Pentair VS 3050 pump, Intellichlor-40 SWG, Pentair Clean-Clear 420 cart filter, Zodiac MX8 cleaner, Roof mounted Solar panels.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster1
    If topping off with softened water, is there any concern that the sodium (from the ion exchange) will build up?

I have a salt pool and I'm still baffled as to what happens after the sodium/chlorine get split by the cell (do they recombine back to na/cl?)

Will all that extra NA eventually cause a problem?

I'm in Southern CA.
    Very little rain. Never drain off excess water.
    Cartridge filters.
    Fill water is 300ppm+
    Water is now over 1100ppm

Would one of the "pool softening" treatments solve my problem (for the short term)?
    The only treatment that will work is reverse osmosis, which is pricey and very limited in availability. If you live near San Diego, you might be in luck. Otherwise, the cure is drain and refill.

1100 CH is high enough that you will have a hard time preventing scaling. It might even be impossible if you keep the pH in the comfort zone. You'll need to do something.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster1
    Basically yes...if you want to wade into the deep end, here is a post by chem geek on the chemistry: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...628.html#p4367
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

My chemistry is a bit rusty but I believe it is the water as a solvent which separates (dissolves) the salt into sodium and chloride ions and not the SWG cell. The SWG cell converts the chloride ions into chlorine gas which then dissolves into the water.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Mark is correct. The sodium from the salt is irrelevant with regard to the SWG system except in providing charge balance and conductivity. The sodium does not change chemically. It is the chlorine that goes from chloride (salt) to chlorine (disinfectant) back to chloride again.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"