Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to by-pass intex timer and swg?

1. Back To Top    #1

how to by-pass intex timer and swg?

My intex salt water pump is less than a year old and keep dying on me with a red service light. the pump runs for about a minute then shut down.
    I'd like to know how to by-pass the system so I can still use the pump.
    I had to put the small pump that came with the pool back on and dumped all the water out and just went back to using chlorine tablets.

I can't find the receipt for the pump and no-one locale works on them. I tried hooking up a chord directly to the pump wires but there are 4 wires coming from the pump.
    white, black, green and Orange. the power chord only has 3 wire.
    28K gal???? (Differing #'s from the water guy and what our blueprints say, so not sure what to believe)
    Inground vinyl
    1HP Hayward pump
    525 sqft 150 GPM Hayward cartridge filter
    Up and running July 30/2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to by-pass intex timer and swg?

If you have the Intex saltwater chlorine generator that has the filter pump and SWG all connected in one (combination pump) you can get the filter pump to run without the chlorine generator by pressing and holding BOTH the UP and DOWN arrows at the same time until you hear the system make a single beep and the screen will say "FP" meaning "filter pump" is the only thing activated. Hope this helps!

P.S. when the red service light comes on, there is no service actually needed. It really means that something is wrong that can't be fixed (with the chlorinator) and you'll have to buy the saltwater generator separate and use your old combination system as a filter pump only (it's what I had to do, Intex told me about the red service light meaning it needs replaced since the electronics inside are fried)

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a test kit? If not, how are you going to make sure you don't drive your stabilizer (CYA) too high? How will you know that you have the right amount of chlorine in the pool?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R
    Do you have a test kit? If not, how are you going to make sure you don't drive your stabilizer (CYA) too high? How will you know that you have the right amount of chlorine in the pool?
    I have several test kits and I've given up on the salt water system. this intex system was less than a year old and already messed up. I can't find my receipt and don't remember where I bought it...online someplace. I tried to backtrack through ebay but can only go back three months ( i think) and the same with PayPal. So, I gave up and went back to chlorine tablets.
    28K gal???? (Differing #'s from the water guy and what our blueprints say, so not sure what to believe)
    Inground vinyl
    1HP Hayward pump
    525 sqft 150 GPM Hayward cartridge filter
    Up and running July 30/2012

5. Back To Top    #5

I love how soft salt water makes the water feel, I don't even like swimming in normal chlorine pools anymore after I've had one. Plus the cost of chlorine tablets and shock is crazy, I love not having to pay for as many chemicals.

6. Back To Top    #6

Most pool owners here do not use tablets or pucks to keep their pool clean. They are using bleach (liquid chlorine) to sanitize. This is essentially the same as what a SWG generates using the salt in the water. You can continue to have the salt in the water (for the feel) and use chlorine/bleach to sanitize.

To make this all possible, you need a high quality, high accuracy test kit. Test strips and the ones they sell at most pool stores and Wal-Mart do not have the range or accuracy required. Pool School (button on top right of this page) has all the details.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Liquid chlorine runs $30 for a decent size jug, which wouldn't last long. Maintaining a SWG is much cheaper in the long run, as long as you use cell saver in your pool it stays clean a lot longer too.