New pool with SWG - Help a newbie balance please! :)

wdwms

Jun 27, 2013
Hello there! We just completed the installation of our 15x30 sharkline above ground pool. So far it has been a joy to use; and with a small solar collector on the shed roof we've managed to get the temp to a comfy 85 degrees (anything above 80 here in New Hampshire is considered warm!)

I have a AutoPilot Digital Nano connected to the system which is now running and i have 3000 PPM of salt - i could go a bit higher but i can taste it at this level. My LaMotte ColorQ just came today, so this is what i'm looking at:

Temp: 78
Free C 1.14
Total C 1.26
ph 7.3
alk 80
Calcium 91
cya 7

Solar heated, Hayward 2420 DE w/Aqua Perl

I know the CYA must go up, as well as the alk, and the Ph just a touch. Should I shock to get the free chlorine up? or up the generation amount on the SWG? Water is crystal clear, no discoloration and it is so soft!

Thanks ahead of time! :)

:wave: Welcome to TFP
Check out Pool School on how to balance out a salt water pool http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

You need to bump up the Free Chlorine and add CYA
Your alk at 80 is good and your ph is ok it will rise on its own
Don't worry about the calcium it is fine

I have a salt water pool also and last time I checked my CYA was around 60+or- and my Free Chlorine has been holding steady around 5-6 ppm

This forum has been a life saver for me cause when I found it I had a green pool and didn't know what to do(I am a first time pool owner)

I also learned never to go to a pool store to have them test my water they are very unreliable

PS
I lived in New Hampshire for 53 years and I remember swimming in 65 degree ocean water off of the NH and Me coast
I like my pool at 86 degrees

Thanks SkyKid, appreciate the response! Should I bump the FC with a shock or just let the SWG do its job? the autopilot has a "boost" mode that essentially runs the SWG for 24 straight hours rather than cycling it as needed.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.