Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump is whining

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump is whining

Split by moderator. Please start your own thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

Well I'm not sure I have the right place here to post but my pool pump is whining. What is the sound when the impeller is going? Anyone have an idea? And if need B a recommendation for a new motor? I have 23,000 gal single stage 1 1/2 hp. oval shape poool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump is whining

correcting it's a 1hp.maxi-E glass II pump. It's running hot and is leaking at the bottom.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would start my own but unable to locate new posts button... Sorry I'm new an trying to feel my way around..

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

There is a big blue button at the upper right of every forum that says "New Topic" ... I already did it for you.

Well, if it is leaking at the bottom, that likely means the bearing have gotten wet and thus causing the noise and the overheating. The impeller is not likely the problem.

So, you either need to rebuild the bearings or start shopping for a new motor and seal kit ... may as well go with a 2-speed motor while you are at it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

ok I guess I am blind as a bat and this is what I see on my end

Home
    Pool School
    User Control Panel 0 new private messages Logout [ Bear Mikie ]
    Members FAQ Store

Become a TFP Supporter Pool School
    Last visit was: June 24th, 2013, 10:50 pm It is currently June 27th, 2013, 5:21 pm

View unanswered posts | Active topics View unread posts | New posts by date | Your posts

So unless it comes in Black and B rail ? Would it be new posts by date?

Now back to the motor. Considering it is about 17 years with this being the only problem I've had and want to go to the 2 speed would I be safe to assume the Hayward is a good motor? I'm running paper filters around 23,000 gal. oval shape plaster pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh and thank you for your time and patience with a new B !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry, actually the button is on the upper LEFT, just above all the threads in a given forum ... below everything you just said.

Are you looking to replace just the motor (Hayward does not make motors) or replace the entire pump?

Either Hayward or Pentair make fine pumps. The Pentair Superflo pumps come with a speed selection switch ... I know because that is what I have.

Is your current motor wired for 115V or 230V?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok now I know I'm blind as BAT MAN!!! I do not C any New Posts Button. This is what I'm looking at:

Home
    Pool School
    User Control Panel 0 new private messages Logout [ Bear Mikie ]
    Members FAQ Store

Become a TFP Supporter Pool School
    Last visit was: June 24th, 2013, 10:50 pm It is currently June 27th, 2013, 6:01 pm

View unanswered posts | Active topics View unread posts | New posts by date | Your posts

Board index Equipment - Build, Use, and Repair Pumping Station

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Pump is whining

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]
    Unsubscribe topic | Bookmark topic | Print view | E-mail friend Previous topic | Next topic

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, while in your thread right under "Pump is whining" and to the left of "Page 1 of 1" should be a button that says "Post Reply"

If you were not in a specific thread and were in the forum view (where you can see all the topics of the threads), in the same place is a button that says "New Topic"

If you do not see that button ..... what browser are you using?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

The pump is a model K48L2PA105 a U27880 volt s 115/230. not sure that answers your question about the wiring?

11. Back To Top    #11

Nope. That just says it can be wired either way. Check the breaker that supplies the motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Fire fox and I see no new topic of anything like it... Sorry.

13. Back To Top    #13

I think the admin was making some changes today ... I will let them know.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

will the only thing I can tell you is I have 2-30 breakers for the pool equipment. That's just the filter a Hayward bottom sucker, that's what I call him, no heater etc.

15. Back To Top    #15

To start a new topic, go to one of the topic list pages, for example Pumping Station. Just under the sub-heading, near the top left, there is a "+ New Topic" button. Press that to start a new topic. The key is that it only appears on the topic list pages. You can see a list of all of the topic list pages on the Board Index page.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Well I'll B corn whipped.. There is that little blue New Topic button. And it only took this Calif. boy 50 posts and he finally see it!!

No really thanks for all your help and patience..

Bear Mikie

17. Back To Top    #17

And the motor is for 220.

Thank you very much. Well would you know where I can get the best price on the Hayward?

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Mikie
    And the motor is for 220.

Thank you very much. Well would you know where I can get the best price on the Hayward?
    Are you sure? your previous post made it sound like you only have two 30amp 115V circuits to the pool ... and now you say the motor is 220v

Which Hayward? Why Hayward?

Are you looking for an entirely new pump? And 2-speed?

I would recommend the Pentair Superflo 1HP 2-speed because it comes with a speed selection switch and uses unions to attach to the plumbing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Ok this is off the tag on the motor:

Volts 115/230 max load amp 16.0/8.0 1hp 60hz 1.1kw

20. Back To Top    #20

We have already been through this ... when I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Nope. That just says it can be wired either way. Check the breaker that supplies the motor.
    You need to verify if YOURS is wired for 115V or 230V. You can back and i THINK you said your have two circuits for the pool that are each 30amp ... are they 115V or 230V?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast