Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: a $300k pool?!

1. Back To Top    #1

a $300k pool?!

I saw this on youtube (was looking at examples of gunite slides to make sure my PB builds what I want in my upcoming pool) and am staggered it was $300k+.
    I realize there's a decent amount of rock but if I was dropping $300k on a pool I think I'd be expecting a bit more. Suspect the tile may have cost a small fortune...

Anyway, what are anyone else's thoughts? Worth it, or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jqp9-BB88k
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: a $300k pool?!

NOT!!
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3

Not at my level. I just want a simple gunite pool, diving board
    (now maybe), minimal automataion. Also, no water features, but yes on a heater and safety cover. Already Im looking at 60K + but still have a few builders to talk too. Honestly a bit more than we planned, and this is with a very basic finish. Jeez! It really is unreal.

300K ? I think not. To me that requires some wealth, and I sure wouldn't go into that much debt for a luxury.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    Not at my level. I just want a simple gunite pool, diving board
    (now maybe), minimal automataion. Also, no water features, but yes on a heater and safety cover. Already Im looking at 60K + but still have a few builders to talk too. Honestly a bit more than we planned, and this is with a very basic finish. Jeez! It really is unreal.

300K ? I think not. To me that requires some wealth, and I sure wouldn't go into that much debt for a luxury.
    What threw me, is I've just committed to my pool (and hopefully start soon - pending HOA approval) and it has a grotto/waterfall/gunite slide and is in the $80k's.

It's hard to tell how big the pool is in the video though. I suspect it is actually quite a large pool.

I completely agree about the prices being a shock. I thought we'd be in the mid $60K range, not in the $80K+ range but we have got full automation, a fairly significant amount of deck and upgraded finishes etc.
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

5. Back To Top    #5

That is a very nice pool, but not what I would want if I had that kind of money. If I were thinking about a high end pool, I would want a work of art, something that takes your breath away.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    That is a very nice pool, but not even close to as fancy as they get for that price. If I were thinking about a high end pool, I would want a work of art, something that takes your breath away.
    I agree. I don't mean to criticize the pool in of itself, just that I would expect something a bit 'more' for that sort of money and as you say, 'takes you breath away'.

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree with both of you. Seems not much for the money but they had (it sounds like) a PE design the "cave" structure, so maybe he charged a little...extry. Still, if you are getting ALL that for 80's I should be way lower for what I want.

What part of the country are you in? It is booming here and there is lot's of price gouging going on. Not sure we are seeing that with the pool costs yet, but I am starting to wonder if we won't be paying more because of the robust economy. When it booms, people spend money, and right now there is no end in sight for this one. Some things are just crazy price, and really make you say a lot.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    I agree with both of you. Seems not much for the money but they had (it sounds like) a PE design the "cave" structure, so maybe he charged a little...extry. Still, if you are getting ALL that for 80's I should be way lower for what I want.

What part of the country are you in? It is booming here and there is lot's of price gouging going on. Not sure we are seeing that with the pool costs yet, but I am starting to wonder if we won't be paying more because of the robust economy. When it booms, people spend money, and right now there is no end in sight for this one. Some things are just crazy price, and really make you say a lot.
    I'm in Houston. It certainly seems to me from my research that prices are on the up here...

9. Back To Top    #9

More money than brains. Absolutely a huge rip off.
    16'X32'X8' Vinyl Pond with Diving Board (Neck Breaker), 1.5 hp FOXX WhisperFlo(Not so quite anymore), Massive Lawn Egg (aka: Sand Filter), Coolcrete Pool deck (Burns feet to a crisp), Large wooden Multi level deck (Splinter City) with fire pit in center (Insurance company's nightmare.)

10. Back To Top    #10

I love the tile...but 300k?? Yikes.
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

11. Back To Top    #11

That's what i was thinking. If I had 300K for a pool. Id tear down my house, build a 2500 Sqft house in its place and put the other 100K in my pool and landscaping. Yeah welcome to South GA where prices arent ridiculous
    16'X32'X8' Vinyl Pond with Diving Board (Neck Breaker), 1.5 hp FOXX WhisperFlo(Not so quite anymore), Massive Lawn Egg (aka: Sand Filter), Coolcrete Pool deck (Burns feet to a crisp), Large wooden Multi level deck (Splinter City) with fire pit in center (Insurance company's nightmare.)

12. Back To Top    #12

That is a really nice pool! Not sure about pricing so I can't really comment on that, but 300K does sound like a lot. Wish I had money to just spend like that lol
    Pool: Plastered, Oblong, In Ground
    Measurements: 23' Length, 10' & 12' Width, 3' & 4 1/2' Depth
    Gallons: 5,457
    Filter: Cartridge
    Pump: 3/4 HP

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by edge View Post
    Yeah welcome to South GA where prices arent ridiculous
    Wow that is cheap. Here in Toronto I don't know that you would be able to build much more than a garage for $200k.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

14. Back To Top    #14

Pool is nice... but not 300K nice. I can also say, I don't think the tanning ledge design on that pool matches the pool, nor do I think the SPA matches the pool. JMHO.

Personally, I think MartinKennedy's pools is a lot nicer and has more class. I'm betting he spent 300K or more on his though. LOL
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

15. Back To Top    #15

Waldog...Your killing me. Now be gentle to me people. If you look at my posts and look at what my backyard looked like before we started our year long project (thought we would be done in 6 months) its all the extra projects that can add a lot of cost. Like all of you, we worked hard through our careers ( not done yet) . I started my working life in the U.S. Army, from there I started working in a manufacturing plant running machines and then on to be a tool & Die maker. During my time in the hourly work force, I was a card carrying UAW (United Auto Workers) member. Then I went over to the dark side (management). At that time my future wife (also still my wife) worked in the same company. Long story short, I received several promotions and after becoming a VP, I had to actually sever my wife because she would have been in a position where she would have reported to me in my new job. Never fear, Diane adjusted well to her new found freedom. So I have worked hard and know the value of a buck.

Now on to some of those other cost:
    Perimeter stucco walls(310 linear feet) with stone $54k
    Sea wall (110 linear feet) with Trex boardwalk and Al. rail $ 32k
    A/V equipment $19k
    Landscaping and sprinkler system $30k
    Outdoor landscape lighting $16k
    Hand made Mahogany gates $16k
    Marble Lions for the pedestals of the infinity edge $8k
    Mosaic in the bottom of the pool (installed) $16k
    outdoor furniture $15k
    Additional surveillance cameras for outdoors $4k
    Pergola (made by Equinox) $18k
    Stone on the back of the house $9k

I didn't even talk about the pool, all the stone retaining walls, kitchen, catch basin, travertine and probably some of the stuff I forgot about. There is over 850,000 lbs. of concrete and block in the backyard.

Whew! It all adds up. So I can see where the pool in the video could be approaching $300k.

We are blessed in life and it's all paid for. I can tell you my first 2 pools were nowhere as costly or involved as this project. Whether your pool project is your first, last or something in between, the fun and fulfillment is the same for all of us.

By the way, I sincerely appreciate the compliment from Waldog

just my .02 cents