Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borate/Chlorine Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Borate/Chlorine Question

I'm fairly new to this and have been getting "pool stored" for awhile...until I came across this site! I have the TF-100 kit, speed stir, salt test kit and borate strips on order so I can stop getting +^#^%#'! With by my pool store. 7 days ago my pool store told me my free chlorine was over 16.59ppm, borate 35, ph 7.4, hardness 219, alk w/stab core. 145.1, cya 33. Today they said free chlorine 2.25, ph 7.6, hardness 217, alk w/stab corr 122, cya 37, borate 0. I non ch shocked my pool, and dropped my swg to 10%. They told me that my 35 borate from last week did not read correctly because of the high free ch reading. Is this true? And w/normal use in 7 days can my free ch go down that much? I have a 28,000, rectangle, auto cover, swg, jany var speed 1.5 (running at 1950rpm 24/7), and heat to 89degrees. I know I need to wait for my kit, but any help in the mean time would be appreciated! Thanks!
    36,000gallon, 20x40, In-ground, vinyl, auto cover, cartridge filter, 1.5hp Jandy Variable Speed, SWG, Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borate/Chlorine Question

Have you actually added borates to your water? If not, it is zero.

I am not sure of the interaction between the chlorine and borates with the test though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by MNPoolboy
    I'm fairly new to this and have been getting "pool stored" for awhile...until I came across this site! I have the TF-100 kit, speed stir, salt test kit and borate strips on order so I can stop getting +^#^%#'! With by my pool store. 7 days ago my pool store told me my free chlorine was over 16.59ppm, borate 35, ph 7.4, hardness 219, alk w/stab core. 145.1, cya 33. Today they said free chlorine 2.25, ph 7.6, hardness 217, alk w/stab corr 122, cya 37, borate 0. I non ch shocked my pool, and dropped my swg to 10%. They told me that my 35 borate from last week did not read correctly because of the high free ch reading. Is this true? And w/normal use in 7 days can my free ch go down that much? I have a 28,000, rectangle, auto cover, swg, jany var speed 1.5 (running at 1950rpm 24/7), and heat to 89degrees. I know I need to wait for my kit, but any help in the mean time would be appreciated! Thanks!
    What is the CYA level (aka Stabilizer)? With a rational level of 40 and full sun you could drop 1/3 of FC a day.

- Sent using Tapatalk
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

They told me my cya level was 37. Aquajunk test strip says between 0-30. I added two huge 3-5gallon buckets of supreme last summer. Probably added 8-12 inches of water since.
    36,000gallon, 20x40, In-ground, vinyl, auto cover, cartridge filter, 1.5hp Jandy Variable Speed, SWG, Gas Heater