Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Harvest backwash water in rain barrel?

1. Back To Top    #1

Harvest backwash water in rain barrel?

Anyone harvest their backwash/waste water from a sand filter into a rain barrel for landscape usage? Does anyone have photos illustrating this type of set up? I've tried to search but haven't been successful. Thanks!
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Harvest backwash water in rain barrel?

If the barrel is not uv proof the chlorine at least will drop off over time. The idea seems rational.

- Sent using Tapatalk
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Many members backwash directly into their lawns and plants ... without the holding barrel.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the chlorine would be ok on grass or most ornamental shrubs/trees/plants - even at shock level, you are talking "parts per million" so would likely be safe - I'd done some reading in the forums and lots of people use it on their lawns and such. I would probably not use it on my vegetables or fruit trees unless I was desperate, but that's just me.

Last year I re-routed the blue flat backwash hose from the sewer and am sending the water to the yard (we're on water rationing, seems crazy to send the water down the drain!) but we are on a slope and the water coming out during backwash tends to run over the lawn and down to the street without soaking in. I need to slow it down, hence thinking of the rain barrel.
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread