Deck Progress

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
decking is down and I started the railings. I also figured out how to inline a picture with Skydrive. I am still getting used to this deck. I was skimming the pool last night standing on the ground to the right in the picture and my wife asked if it would be easier if I were standing on the deck. :-D

So, looking at the west end with the railings. the pool slide is going to be on the right in this picture. In the left hand corner I will build a bench with storage.
southend.JPG

a closeup of the railings. This is the 5th deck I have built. On this one I added a bottom rail rather than attach the balusters tot he deck as is typically done here. It looks nicer. I also did the posts differently so I can wrap the entire outside with balusters. It looks cleaner this way.

railing.JPG

Very nice! :goodjob: I like how you did the railing and balusters. With the gap at the bottom it will be easier to clean. The posts are a nice look. I was wondering what do you think of having a deck extend over the top of a side rail. I noticed you did not do that. I was considering it for my next deck.

Do you mean having the deck extend over the pool? I/We opted not to for various reasons, one of which is we would have lost the investment in the pool cover we bought last year. It needs space around the outside of the pool to be able to put it on.

Eh. My kids sit on mine. It holds them just fine. The wall isn't gonna collapse. They might crack the rail but the plastic is pretty tough. the other reason is getting the decking out over the rail. You might be able to cantilever the decking out the 8" or so with no framing without issues, I was uncomfortable doing so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.