Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PB forgot side drain

1. Back To Top    #1

PB forgot side drain

My PB left out the side suction drain that accompanies the main MDX drain. How significant is this? How should they remedy?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PB forgot side drain

Welcome to TFP!!!

I have never had a pool with a side drain ... unless you mean the skimmer?

Could you elaborate / provide pictures?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Welcome to TFP!!!

I have never had a pool with a side drain ... unless you mean the skimmer?
    A side wall suction is pretty standard stuff with quite a few builders, especially in vinyl pools.
    As long as you have a bottom drain and a skimmer, it's fine. I only have a skimmer and a side wall drain. No bottom drain.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

MDX is a system that is designed to stop entrapment. The sidewall port you are talking about is a relief suction so if something were to block the main drains it would pull water from the side port allowing the offending piece to get away from the main drain.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

To be safe there should either be dual main drains, a side wall suction and a main drain, or an SVRS system. If there is just a single MDX drain and no second drain/suction port (skimmers don't count) and no SVRS system then the system is not safe and they should fix it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm planning to install the MDX-R3 drain system myself in my new pool. The side drain is an important part of the system to prevent entrapment. You can go to the link below to Paramount's website about the system. I would ask the PB to rectify the problem.

http://www.paramountpoolproducts.com/products/mdxr3/
    32K gallon 24'x41' IG, 8'x10' spa, mini pebble,
    Pentair equipment [Intellitouch I9, IC-60 SWG, 520 sq Clean + Clear Plus cartridge filter, 3 VS pumps(1 FX, 2 intelliflo)], Dolphin M5 cleaner.
    2 rain shears, 2 water shears, 2 blubbers, 4 laminars, water slide, rock waterfall.

7. Back To Top    #7

just curious if/how this was resolved.
    22k,chlorine,cart,finished dec2013,pebble