Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: decorative wall close to coping

1. Back To Top    #1

decorative wall close to coping

Hi Experts,

My first post here. I'm planning to put a decorative wall with columns about 35 feet long and 2 feet high, 4 columns about 2.5 feet high. One employee of the pool builder says it is perfectly fine, the other employee says it could have structural issues since
    they did not make the pool wall stronger. Is this true or is it a sales tactic? The decorative wall won't sit on the coping or any part of the pool, it will sit on the ground. Can anyone advise if I can build the decorative wall without causing issues to the pool itself?

Thanks in advance,

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: decorative wall close to coping

I can't imagine that it would cause issues for the pool. I think the second guy was playing a little CYA for the company and/or himself.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    North Georgia

Sounds bogus to me.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

Sacramento, CA

It would take a soils test to know for sure. Is this fill or undisturbed soil? I assume we are talking a concrete block wall? If its good soil and a good foundation then there should not be a problem. Is the soil really sandy, cobble or expansive? Did they do anything special with the pool structure because of the soil?

A short concrete block wall on good soil with a moderate spread footing should cause no problem in good undisturbed soil.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall