We filled our pool a month ago today, and it has had crystal clear water and we've been using it since day 2 or so. The pool builder has had me keeping the ph really low (in the 6's by test strip) using muriatic acid for the entire time so far. I have decided to start making my own decisions and am afraid I'm in danger of over etching or pitting my pebble sheen. I got my k2006 yesterday and ran my first tests this morning and got some rather confusing results (to me). The test strips consistently show the chlorine as bright purple, and the pool has a very chlorine/acid smell so i assumed that i had very high chlorine. I turned the SWG from 65% where the PB had it to 50% and let the ph come up some. Test strips chlorine reading stayed the same as of this morning, but this is what i get using the kit:
FC 1.85 (did the test twice and got similar results)
Salt 2900 (from automation system, no idea how accurate)
We have been getting frequent pouring rain storms in the past 2 weeks, which I'm sure are messing with things along with the plaster curing. I may have jumped the gun somewhat last week by adding 12lbs baking soda in an attempt to increase TA for a more stable pH, but of course when i added the muriatic acid in the next day to lower pH that all seemed to go away. Just not real sure what to do next, and the test strips and my nose and eyes conflicting with the k2206 results confuses me (or I just don't get it anyway). Any help greatly appreciated.