Apparently I have a rust issue

Sep 28, 2009
Burleson, TX
I got this pool free back in 2006 from a family that was moving and the new people didn't want the pool in the backyard. I've had it up since then and just recently realized how crunchy it felt underneath the liner on the sides of the pool. I went under the deck to investigate and say some rust. I've already found a replacement pool that's about 3 years old so I started tearing down mine. I had no idea the rust had spread to this extent.

I find it very interesting that on one side of the seam, there's heavy rust, on the other side, not so much.
[attachment=2:15raqu44]DSC_0687.JPG[/attachment:15raqu44]

I would have figured the rust would have been evenly distributed, but it's definitely heavier towards one end of the wall.
[attachment=1:15raqu44]DSC_0688.JPG[/attachment:15raqu44]

You can actually see a hole in this part of the wall
[attachment=0:15raqu44]DSC_0689.JPG[/attachment:15raqu44]

I do have one question. When I was removing the liner from the "new" used pool, it stuck to the sides in some places and looks like it might have pulled some of the coating off. I was thinking of spraying those spots down with rustoleum before I put up a new liner. Is that a good idea or will that react with the liner?

Attachments

• DSC_0687.JPG
    DSC_0687.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0688.JPG
    DSC_0688.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0689.JPG
    DSC_0689.JPG
    347.4 KB · Views: 89
Wowser! That's a bit scary! I guess I'll be paying a bit more attention to my side walls after seeing this.

I don't know what to tell you about the rustoleum. It might help with keeping water off of that area of the wall for you but not sure it's interaction with the new liner. After an experience like yours, I think I would want to do something. Maybe you could put some duct tape over that area after you paint it? That will then hold the moisture there though. Another option might be to put some of that foam they sell for between the wall and the liner, but it might be more susceptible to damage from the paint than the liner would. Maybe put a piece of old liner against that area before you put the new liner up? Not sure what the answer is... just thinking out loud.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.