Shock Process

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
Im going to raise my pool to shock level due to me having to leave town (see this post http://www.troublefreepool.com/install-liner-add-water-later-t64277.html)

Ive read the shock process, and am looking at the Chlorine/CYA chart. I see the warning about not raising FC above 5 if CYA is truly 0, which mine is. So, is it safe to put it at shock level of FC=12 if I add liquid CYA along with bleach? I would put 2 gallons of liquid CYA which would get me just over 30 and then add 5.7 96 ounce jugs of bleach which would get me at FC=12.

I would try to pour the clorox one bottle at a time in front of a jet slowly, and alternate a bottle of CYA between the first couple bottles of bleach.

If you're going to add liquid CYA then add it in front of a return, wait 30 minutes and start adding the bleach. Liquid dissolves almost instantly and there is no waiting period like there is with granules.

You can use the liquid CYA, but you could also use Dichlor for the shocking to add both CYA and FC at the same time, at least for part of your CYA if that saves you on some liquid CYA which can be expensive. Not a big deal though for a one-time dosing.

Is your pool going to be covered with an opaque cover so that it is not exposed to sunlight? If not, you'll still lose chlorine every day even from shocking so you can't be gone for more than a few days if the pool is uncovered. With an uncovered pool and only 30 ppm CYA, you may lose more two-thirds of the FC over a long summer day in southern U.S. That's still better than losing half the FC every hour in direct noontime sun if there were no CYA.

chem geek said:
You can use the liquid CYA, but you could also use Dichlor for the shocking to add both CYA and FC at the same time, at least for part of your CYA if that saves you on some liquid CYA which can be expensive. Not a big deal though for a one-time dosing.

Is your pool going to be covered with an opaque cover so that it is not exposed to sunlight? If not, you'll still lose chlorine every day even from shocking so you can't be gone for more than a few days if the pool is uncovered.

I will have a solar cover on, but its clear. I will be able to add more bleach sunday before i leave in the morning, I then should be back Tuesday evening early. So I would have just over 2 full days with no dosing.

Just to circle back, FC held well while I was gone. Came home to a sparkling clear pool! Im working now on getting the numbers all correct and perfect, will post here at some point with my readings and where to go next.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.