a few more questions...size to cut foam, paver placement ect

Jun 17, 2013
chicago
so i was originally going to redo my wavy patio to put my pool on (intex 15'x48" metal frame) so i tore it up, started laying pavers and it looked awful so i changed my mind. it wasnt worth the work if it looked ugly and i was too afraid of it sinking and having to do it all over again in the middle of august. i really hate landscape work but i love carpentry, so i might end up putting a boardwalk around most of the pool and leaving it up yr round. i really dont have a large yard and i have 3 dogs so a giant mud gravel circle isnt feasible year round.

anyways i got some 3/4 inch foam that i saw recommended on here but im not sure how big to cut the circle. my pool is 15' round. do i just make it 15' and cut spots for the legs? or do i do a slightly smaller diameter? im also going to put a tarp down, then the foam and then another tarp. first tarp is to protect the foam from the very thin layer of pea gravel that i will use just to get out any little small low spots.

now onto the pavers. are they supposed to be level with the ground or with the foam? i know foam is going to compact a lot with the weight of the water but i want to do this right the first time. im going to dig a hole put a layer of gravel and then the pavers on top of the gravel. i also have sand but not sure if i should use that as a second layer. my pavers are 18"x18", how far from the edge of the pool should i lay them? like how far should the leg be in towards the center of the paver before i fill the pool?

another question...i thought i read or heard somewhere that the inlet and outlet should be on the low side of the pool. is this correct? im hoping to get it pretty level but theres always a chance it may settle some and if it does im pretty sure i know what side it will. problem is, is thats the worst spot for the pump as far as looks and being in the way. right now i plan to either have it on the side that would be higher if it goes off level (say the 9 o'clock position), or in the back (the 12 o'clock position). the 3 o'clock position is the spot that i worry most about settling and dropping some because that is fresh dug ground where as the rest of the pool will be mostly on the old hard pack area where the patio was. and yes i know it cant be that off level, im not planning to keep it full if its over 1 1/2" off level.

also just a quick question that popped into my head. its not supposed to hit 80 degrees again after i put my pool up this weekend until prob 4 days later. its going to be in the mid to high 70's with some partly cloudy days. is there any chance im going to be able to swim in this thing comfortably once it hits the low 80's (4 days after i fill the pool). i do have a solar cover that i will keep on it at all times and it gets sun almost all day until about 7pm. its just gonna drive me crazy looking at it knowing that its freezing. the wife and i keep joking about how it was sunny and 90 but now that its going to be put up the temp is going to drop and there is chances of rain some days. talk about torture! lol

Re: a few more questions...size to cut foam, paver placement

When I put my 18' AGP in, I left the foam slightly larger (18' 6" at least). Laid the pavers in the proper spots on top of the foam and cut around them with a key saw. Then laid them in so they were flush with the foam. After the pool was up, I went around and trimmed the foam all the way around with the key saw.

if i use pressure treated boards ripped down to 3/4" thickness (same thickness as my foam) on my table saw then i could just set them on the ground right? i dont have to bury them?

That should work. I used 1.5 inch foam and assembled the top ring of the pool then cut out the foam where each leg went, giving enough space to account for leg expansion. The pavers were 1.5 inches thick, so everything ended up flush. I covered it with the included tarp then filled, check every few hours to make any adjustments on the supports that might be required. I'm very happy with it.

My inlet/outlet sits in the back closest to the electrical outlet... My pool is about 1" off around so technically the "high" side.

null-16.jpg

Was that what you needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) i think wherever you put it is fine as long as you can plug it in and keep it off wet ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter, because you have leveled the pool to within 1", right? You probably read that from someone who's pool site wasn't leveled as close as it needs to be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.