Multiple igniters--what is the problem?

Jul 17, 2009
Pentair Minimax 250. Last fall, after 5 years, the heater stopped working, broken igniter. Replaced it, heater worked fine for the 2 months i used it. Went to fire it up this spring, wouldn't ignite. Igniter busted again. Note that you can tell if the element is cracked with an ohm-meter.

Ordered one from Amazon, arrived broken. Got a replacement, arrived broken. Got a third one, arrived intact. Installed it, never touching the element. Worked for about a month, now busted.

I cannot figure out if all these igniters are bad or the electronics of the unit are frying it in some manner. The last igniter is made by a company called "CoorsTek", with the preceeding 4 made by Norton. Each time it fails to ignite, I test it with the ohm-meter, shows no current across the two wires. When I remove it, there is a white spot where the element cracked.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I know this model of heater has multiple problems, but it would be nice if I could keep it working for a few seasons more...

All of the ones you have purchased so far, have they come from the same supplier? Not manufacturer. If they are coming from the same supplier, try a different one. Also, are these actual Pentair products?

Be carefull when installing these. Do not touch the heating element part of the igniter. The oil from your fingers can cause hot spots on the surface which can cause early failure.
I doubt the control board is causing the problem. If you want to verify this though, the board outputs should be puting out 120 volts to the igniter. (unless this is some kind of goofy setup)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.