Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My Whisperflo no longer whispers!!

1. Back To Top    #1

My Whisperflo no longer whispers!!

Hi all,
    I have an older 1hp Whisperflo that has gotten VERY loud over the past couple months. I never was able to hear it much past the pool, but now hear it anywhere in the house. It is SO loud!

My understanding is that this could be a sign that the bearings are failing? I had a contractor come out through American Home Shield to take a look at it (they also came to replace a leaky gasket on the pump) who said the pump is working normally. Yes, it is working normally but with so much more noise.

SO, my question is, what now? Typically, will the bearings eventually fail and burn the motor out? How long does that take? Or should I insist that the bearings WILL go out and I don't want to wait until I have a dead motor and algae growing in my pool before they replace it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

New Jersey

Re: My Whisperflo no longer whispers!!

Last year, my 2004 WhisperFlo also had gotten quite noisy. I just decided it was a good time to go to a 2-speed motor and now it is REALLY quiet. I wish I had done it sooner. I did the swap myself and it took less than an hour.

I had no idea how much longer mine would last. I've gone through many motors on several pools over many years, and motors can die quickly, or stay noisy for years. That last one usually belongs to a neighbor.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

3. Back To Top    #3

Certainly sounds like the bearings are failing. If you're hearing it inside the house, that absolutely isn't normal. You absolutely should insist on it being repaired. It could run for days or it could run for months from now.
    18000 gallon plaster
    Pentair Triton II sand filter, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 300 gas heater, 1.0 HP two-speed Pentair Superflo, Polaris 380

4. Back To Top    #4

Last season my whisperflo pump got very loud too. In my case, the guys opening my pool did not tighten down the two drain plugs all the way. I hand tightened them as much as possible and this solved my noisy problem. Hope your solution is as easy.

In gound vinyl L, ~41,000 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filtter, Pentair 2 speed WhisperFlo pump