Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So how many Ibs of Chlorine , how many pints of Acid .

1. Back To Top    #1

So how many Ibs of Chlorine , how many pints of Acid .

Like to know how much Chlorine to put in the pool in Ibs on first start up , pure fresh water , and roughly pints / gallons of acid . pool has 16000 gallons of fresh water just filled ready for Chlorine and acid .
    I used Chlorine powder about one Ib and dissolve it in a gallon of water when adding any Chlorine to the old pool is that good ? , whats stabilizer btw I thought it the muriatic acid you add but now not so sure ,? is it some other acid ? ( stabilizer makes the Chlorine last longer } right . one more thing how long do you leave the pump on doing backwash thank you ..

Had a pool before but adding Chlorine and acid my bad was not very scientific, now started reading the forum I realize its better to learn how to do things properly ..

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mexico, MO

Re: So how many Ibs of Chlorine , how many pints of Acid .

Try this

While you are in the mood for reading, Pool School

Do you have a good test kit? If not, you really need a good one to know what is going on in your pool. N, I don't mean strips or a chap walmart special. I mean a good test kit.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

The Pool Calculator can crunch the numbers and tell you what to add. You need to know pH,TA, and volume before you can get the acid dose.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Just start reading at the top of Pool School. Start here as you do not understand the chemicals:
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    North Georgia

It would be best for you to use liquid chlorine. It only adds chlorine to your pool. Yes stablilzer helps the chlorine from being eaten by the sun. If you insist on using dry chlorine you can calculate how much CYA or Calcium that will add to your pool, but you can't use it indefinitely.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing