algee attack!!!! mom needs your help!!!

sfrers

Jun 26, 2013
please help i can not keep my chlorine levels up. i am being attacked by chlorine i used the pool caculator and this is what it said. is this okay. i have a 18000 gallon pool, de filter, plaster walls. thank for the help. i'm a mom in trouble, her kid cant swim in the pool and it is 95 here in tx :hammer: !!!! im using super shock 73%. it seems like i am always having to shock it and algee still comes back in 3-4 days. i have not went to liquid chlorine yet but my plan is to get this right and switch.

FC 0
TC 0
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 150
CH 220
CYA 30

CALCULATOR SAYS
SHOCK 13OZ
muriatic acid 42OZ

That's because you stopped too soon!

Your target FC to shock the pool is 13. Using your Cal-hypo 73% (And you won't be able to use it much longer or CH will get too high) you need to add 4 lbs 3 oz. And in an hour or two, you'll need to recheck it and dose it again to get it to 13. And again and again and again and again and again until you pass the three tests in pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Once it's clear and passes, if you maintain the FC above minimum you will never have to do this again.

A little inspiration:
first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html Check out the pictures!
pretty-black-pool-t58442.html
first-time-pool-owner-t61565.html
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html be sure to look at page 2
before-and-after-t36785.html
a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html

Hi, welcome to TFP! You need to complete the shock process on your pool. I don't know where the 13 ounces of shock comes from. I plugged your test results into the Pool calculator and your shock level is 13 ppm of FC. To reach shock level you would need to add 343 ounces of 8.25% unscented bleach. You would then need to re-test every 1-2 hours and add enough bleach to reach shock level again until the process is complete.

Where are you getting your test results from?

If your using the K-2005 then you only need to add the FAS-DPD chlorine test to it to get a good test kit, the DPD chlorine test included in the K-2005 only reads to 5ppm so there is no way for it to test to the levels you need to maintain for shocking, although you MIGHT get away with using it in this case since you have relatively low CYA, if you dilute your pool sample down with 2 parts chlorine free bottled water and 1 part pool water, then multiply your test by results by 3 (it will introduce more error in the test though), your target FC for shock level is 12 ppm at a CYA level of 30 ppm., given the extra error in the test this way I would aim for 15 ppm FC shock level.

Ike

p.s. without the FAS-DPD test you will not be able to have enough resolution to do an overnight chlorine loss test (OLCT) to know for sure if you have met the goals of shocking though

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.