algea after startup

glass

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
kansas
I am having an algae breakout about two weeks into opening my pool this year. Water is going green. This happened last year, we had a stretch of 100 degree days and I let my chlorine go to low. This year my numbers are: TC 8, FC 8, PH 7.5 TA100 TH115 CYA 136. I have a 19,400gl IG vinyl, 1HP whisperflo pump. Tagelus TA 60 sand filter, Pentair 320 tablet chlorinator. After reading the pool school sections on algae and cya , I'm sure my problem is the cya is to high from the dichlor tabs and shock that I used to open the pool. I have ordered the TA 100 test kit and I am waiting for it to be delivered. I am currently draining and replacing water in the pool. The questions that I would like some help with are: What part, if any, does the filter have in algae control (this has been suggested by the pool store as the culprit). The other question I have is: I have to leave town for a week on Saturday , so should I wait to get the cya down to a reasonable level before attempting to tackle this? Just cover the pool and deal with it when I get back, because I won't be able to keep on top of the shock program, or should I fight hard until I leave?

Hi, welcome to TFP! The filter does not cause an algae outbreak, nor will it prevent one. All the filter is supposed to do is catch the fine particles of debris suspended in the water. If you are trying to clear a black, nasty swamp you may have to deep clean the sand at some point during the shock process, but other than that the only connection between algae and your filter is you will need to backwash it more as it gets filled with dead algae. You have algae because your FC is too low for your current CYA level. You currently are taking appropriate measures to correct that problem by replacing the water. Remember to leave at least 1 foot of water in the shallow end of the pool to prevent your liner from floating while you drain and refill.

It may take several days of the shock process to clear your pool. The more you stay on top of it the quicker the pool will clear, so it would be best to wait until you get back and can devote the time needed to clear the pool.

Thanks for your quick reply. I thought that would be the case. I'll try to get the water level/ cya corrected before I leave and deal with the algae when I get back. I want to thank everyone involved here for this forum. I have been reading as much info as I can and I feel like I am finally getting my mind around the basics instead of running to the pool store to get even more problems. You guys are great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.