Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I add bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I add bleach?

So a couple weeks ago my intex swg stopped working. They replaced it, but shipping took about a week. During such time my water quality diminished and i had some green water going on, not shocking. I added some shock, and that helped. Now with the filter a swg running again the water appears to be cleanIng up nicely. It is clear again and smells good. I have not bought the test kit yet, and I know I should and will be soon. Testing with those stupid strips the levels don't look bad at all, but despite the water being clear and my swg running non stop for the last 2 days I am shoing 0 FC. I guessed that with the algea build up all the chlorine being made has been getting use up, so my question is can I add bleach to get my FC up and set my timer back to normal on the swg, or is it better to wait on the generator?
    Intex 8000 gallon
    above ground 1224
    Sand filter SWG
    N.E. Ohio

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I add bleach?

Yes. Bleach is the suggested way to clear a swamp - as you can see for yourself, a SWG can't keep up with the demand. pool-school/shocking_your_pool tells how. But without a proper test kit, you'll be working blind, and if you hot any snags, no one will be able to help you make sense of it without trustworthy readings.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks a ton. I just ordered my TF100 test kit.

I'm not going to be swimming tonight anyway, but for future reference, how long is it recomended to wait after adding bleach (assuming you then get a good reading) to swim?
    Intex 8000 gallon
    above ground 1224
    Sand filter SWG
    N.E. Ohio

4. Back To Top    #4

If you add your bleach to the skimmer, or in front of your return, 15-30 min is fine.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.