Is .5ppm CC ok? and current test results!

Current test results

FC 8ppm
CC .5ppm
PH 7.2-7.0
TA 80
CYA >20 prob 10 as the dot is almost gone when the tube is full
Been using solar cover during the day

the .5ppm CC has been here all week..

daily FC loss has been >1-2ppm when using cover

PH is low due to Tri-chlor tab in floater. YES I know Tabs suck but im watching my CYA

Also getting ready to go away for 3 days don't want to come back to a GREEN pool.

Any suggestions?

Richard320 said:
The CC is normal. And in fact, if it has a cover on it most of the time, that's actually really low! The FC is actually higher than you need, but I'd say just keep doing what you're doing while you're gone.

Are you saying that the solar cover can cause higher CC's?

I was gonna Bump the FC to 10ppm before I leave, Leave it covered and set my pump timer to 12hrs a day and hope for the best.

I also vacuumed and backwashed after vacuuming but the .5ppm cc was still there today

mrmacdad12 said:
Richard320 said:
The CC is normal. And in fact, if it has a cover on it most of the time, that's actually really low! The FC is actually higher than you need, but I'd say just keep doing what you're doing while you're gone.

Are you saying that the solar cover can cause higher CC's?

I was gonna Bump the FC to 10ppm before I leave, Leave it covered and set my pump timer to 12hrs a day and hope for the best.

I also vacuumed and backwashed after vacuuming but the .5ppm cc was still there today
Solar cover doesn't cause CC, it just doesn't let it escape.

Ahhh I see.... Well the cover is on most of the day, working 7-5 then usually off in the evening for swimming. But the sun is long gone from the pool by that time of the day. Cover goes back on before nightfall along with 4 hrs of filtering. Atleast that is how this week has gone so far.

So if I see CC 1ppm or higher I should leave the cover off and see if they drop?

mrmacdad12 said:
Ahhh I see.... Well the cover is on most of the day, working 7-5 then usually off in the evening for swimming. But the sun is long gone from the pool by that time of the day. Cover goes back on before nightfall along with 4 hrs of filtering. Atleast that is how this week has gone so far.

So if I see CC 1ppm or higher I should leave the cover off and see if they drop?
Assuming FC is well above minimum for your CYA level, yes.

Gotcha. I test the pool twice daily as I run the filter 4hrs in the am and 4 in the pm. works nice for testing purposes. I dont let the FC below a 4ppm. I figure shock level is around 11-12ppm safe to swim 10ppm or less...

I have 5 small children who use this pool along with the wife and myself. I think a higher FC level is in our best interests between 5-8ppm.

my DPD tester is pointless most times because my FC is over 5ppm. And my OTO tester same case. I try to guess based on color what its close to but when I confirm with FAS-DPD its usually 1-2ppm higher then my assumption. They always say more is better!

BTW thanks! since theres no THANKS button

Also, I'd bet that the actual CC is considerably lower than the 0.5 ppm resolution of the FAS-DPD chlorine test when you are using a 10 ml sample. If you used a 25 sample size, you may find that during the CC part of the test only one drop makes it go back to clear meaning <= 0.2 ppm or perhaps two drops meaning <= 0.4 ppm. Neither is a problem. That's why we say > 0.5 ppm as requiring some attention which covers folks using either sample size, though usually 10 ml is fine for most purposes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.