Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is .5ppm CC ok? and current test results!

1. Back To Top    #1

Is .5ppm CC ok? and current test results!

Current test results

FC 8ppm
    CC .5ppm
    PH 7.2-7.0
    TA 80
    CYA >20 prob 10 as the dot is almost gone when the tube is full
    Been using solar cover during the day

the .5ppm CC has been here all week..

daily FC loss has been >1-2ppm when using cover

PH is low due to Tri-chlor tab in floater. YES I know Tabs suck but im watching my CYA

Also getting ready to go away for 3 days don't want to come back to a GREEN pool.

Any suggestions?
    15'x4' Metal Frame Intex 3yo (2nd year winterized) 16" 2650gph intex sand filter, Thru wall skimmer, dual inlet/single outlet, 1000gph intex pump (heater) Solar Cover TF-100 testkit, TFPC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is .5ppm CC ok? and current test results!

The CC is normal. And in fact, if it has a cover on it most of the time, that's actually really low! The FC is actually higher than you need, but I'd say just keep doing what you're doing while you're gone.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    The CC is normal. And in fact, if it has a cover on it most of the time, that's actually really low! The FC is actually higher than you need, but I'd say just keep doing what you're doing while you're gone.
    Are you saying that the solar cover can cause higher CC's?

I was gonna Bump the FC to 10ppm before I leave, Leave it covered and set my pump timer to 12hrs a day and hope for the best.

I also vacuumed and backwashed after vacuuming but the .5ppm cc was still there today
    15'x4' Metal Frame Intex 3yo (2nd year winterized) 16" 2650gph intex sand filter, Thru wall skimmer, dual inlet/single outlet, 1000gph intex pump (heater) Solar Cover TF-100 testkit, TFPC

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mrmacdad12
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Are you saying that the solar cover can cause higher CC's?

I was gonna Bump the FC to 10ppm before I leave, Leave it covered and set my pump timer to 12hrs a day and hope for the best.

I also vacuumed and backwashed after vacuuming but the .5ppm cc was still there today
    Solar cover doesn't cause CC, it just doesn't let it escape.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ahhh I see.... Well the cover is on most of the day, working 7-5 then usually off in the evening for swimming. But the sun is long gone from the pool by that time of the day. Cover goes back on before nightfall along with 4 hrs of filtering. Atleast that is how this week has gone so far.

So if I see CC 1ppm or higher I should leave the cover off and see if they drop?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mrmacdad12
    Ahhh I see.... Well the cover is on most of the day, working 7-5 then usually off in the evening for swimming. But the sun is long gone from the pool by that time of the day. Cover goes back on before nightfall along with 4 hrs of filtering. Atleast that is how this week has gone so far.

So if I see CC 1ppm or higher I should leave the cover off and see if they drop?
    Assuming FC is well above minimum for your CYA level, yes.

7. Back To Top    #7

Gotcha. I test the pool twice daily as I run the filter 4hrs in the am and 4 in the pm. works nice for testing purposes. I dont let the FC below a 4ppm. I figure shock level is around 11-12ppm safe to swim 10ppm or less...

I have 5 small children who use this pool along with the wife and myself. I think a higher FC level is in our best interests between 5-8ppm.

my DPD tester is pointless most times because my FC is over 5ppm. And my OTO tester same case. I try to guess based on color what its close to but when I confirm with FAS-DPD its usually 1-2ppm higher then my assumption. They always say more is better!

BTW thanks! since theres no THANKS button

8. Back To Top    #8

Also, I'd bet that the actual CC is considerably lower than the 0.5 ppm resolution of the FAS-DPD chlorine test when you are using a 10 ml sample. If you used a 25 sample size, you may find that during the CC part of the test only one drop makes it go back to clear meaning <= 0.2 ppm or perhaps two drops meaning <= 0.4 ppm. Neither is a problem. That's why we say > 0.5 ppm as requiring some attention which covers folks using either sample size, though usually 10 ml is fine for most purposes.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"