Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: vacation pool care....

1. Back To Top    #1

vacation pool care....

so ive managed through the wealth of knowledge i obtained from here, to keep my pool sparkling clear and clean on the BBB method for near two weeks now......

my family always goes to our inlaws place at Lake Texhoma for 4th of July weekend. so we will leave out friday evening for 2 1/2 days and come back sunday with no one to care for the pool.

my thoughts are i should do nothing other than double dose my bleach on friday before we leave, assuming my pool will continue to lose its usual ~4ppm per day.... and just add enough bleach so that by sunday evening its down to 3.5-4ppm. of course i will test pH before i go and make any adjustments... not to worried about pH as its been 7.6-7.9 daily without me doing anything.

i just dont want to come back to greenage....

thoughts?

also, while we are on the subject of greenage, we have a 3 acre pond in our backyard, and like any fishing pond, algae and whatnot runs rampant. my pool is installed about....oh.... 50-60 feet away, uphill about 30 degrees from this pond. is there anything special i need to know about having a pool so close to what equates to "disney world for algea and bacteria" or is it not any different than having a pool anywhere else?

i sure do enjoy the view of our beautiful pond while im lounging in the pool...... i have joked with some folks when they come over that i should have put my pool closer so that i could sit in it and fish at the same time...

thanks!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: vacation pool care....

If you have a cover, you'll lose even less to sunlight. Now is when pucks in a floater come in handy.

The Search function has a lot on this subject.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: vacation pool care....

hmmm....thanks. after reading some of those posts, since it just 2 days, im thinking I will bring the pool up to shock level on friday eve before we go, and cover it.

guess i get a chlorinator and some tablets for longer trips.

or i could just icepick a hole in a bleach jug to get it to dribble slowly and set it on the side of the pool....
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!