Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates - Before and After

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates - Before and After

I'm a believer. Had it at about 35ppm, drastic difference once I raised to 50ppm.

Borates at ~35ppm:

Borates at 50ppm:
    16x32 21K vinyl IG, 1HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Ecomatic ESC 36 SWG, dobberpoolboy manual vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates - Before and After

So it does look more sparkly - but in all reality could that be the angle of the sun, as it is different in the second picture.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

3. Back To Top    #3

There's 51 minutes difference. The before photo was taken at 4:38pm, and the after at 3:47pm. The picture definitely isn't doing it full justice. The light is definitely interacting differently. The sparkle looks way more "round" I guess? Not sure how to best describe it. But I was floored when I pulled the solar cover off today. I was skeptical about adding borates, but thought... what the heck. At 30-35ppm, I thought I could tell a difference, but wasn't positive. After getting to 50ppm. There's no question in my mind.

I'll try to get a picture at exactly the same time tommorow though. (Supposed to be another clear day).
    16x32 21K vinyl IG, 1HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Ecomatic ESC 36 SWG, dobberpoolboy manual vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, but as I said, it does LOOK BETTER - how does it feel, any difference ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't swam in it myself yet. But noticed a difference right away when I stuck my arm in to get a water sample today. "Slick" is the best word I can use to describe it. But not like a film, just much less friction / resistance rubbing fingers / hands together and drying. Whether it's "better" or not... well probably a matter of taste. Based on what I'm seeing and feeling though, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm confused. In the top picture I see the ground next to the grass with dirt coming right under the pool except for a short section, but in the bottom picture it looks like the pool is on a base or platform. Is that an optical illusion of some sort?

As for the sparkle and feel, the borates tend to reduce the surface tension of the water. This is most noticeable when doing chlorine and other tests where the water in the tube with borates has a rather flat meniscus (water surface) while without borates the water wets the plastic more so the meniscus is much more pronounced.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Not an optical illusion, just finished my landscaping same time I was adding borates.

The area is dug out from a slight grade, so I backfilled the dug out area and laid pea gravel down, and built a small retaining wall around the front side.

I had read about the science behind Borates, but wasn't convinced if the "effect" was going to be significant. Definitely was IMO.

8. Back To Top    #8

That's a nice job. Had me fooled thinking it was an entire platform.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I also have added borates to my pool it does change the refractive index of he water. There is a noticeable difference in the "sparkle".
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

bjoneson,
    That looks ABSOLUTELY BEEEEUUUUUUTEEEEEFUUUULLLLL!!!
    So inviting!! I wanna' jump right in.

Now I reaaaalllyyy want to do it to my pool! But it's going to have to wait till I get the big one up, as I don't want to dump all the money on borates into temporary water.

Your kids just look like they're totally chill in the 1st photo, like they died and went to heaven.
    What are you taking the photo from? The roof, upstairs window/balcony?
    EDIT: Do you have a photo from before you added any borates at all?

I must admit, that 2nd photo looks like a composite you'd see on an Intex box or something. HAHA
    Bravo!
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D