How easy is the test kit?

The test kit is extremely easy to use. The detailed instructions are very well written on the inside of the top of the kit. This was the best test kit I have ever used and I have seen a few good ones in the past few years. You shouldnt have no problem with it at all . The instructions will walk you through every step and is also very informative as to what the general levels of the test results should be at for perfect water chemistry.

Hope this helps
Brian

very simple, i found the hardest thing was to flick the right amount of water out of the cl/ph test block... i found a kaflink and a pap to get it to the line is the best way. The more i test the water the more i feel relaxed doing it. I even did a couple tests twice just because i wanted to see if i got the same answer twice.

brakes said:
very simple, i found the hardest thing was to flick the right amount of water out of the cl/ph test block... i found a kaflink and a pap to get it to the line is the best way. The more i test the water the more i feel relaxed doing it. I even did a couple tests twice just because i wanted to see if i got the same answer twice.

I use a squeeze bottle from Walmart (similar to the picnic catsup and mustard bottles, but clear), and get it right on the marks every time. Cost me $1.99 for two of them, IIRC.

MikeInTN said:
brakes said:

I use a squeeze bottle from Walmart (similar to the picnic catsup and mustard bottles, but clear), and get it right on the marks every time. Cost me $1.99 for two of them, IIRC.

Along those same lines, I use a bottle I got from Leslie's Pool for free. They give them out so you have a convenient way to take your water in to the store for testing. I know they don't mean for me to keep the bottle, but it works really well for running my own tests. :)

I've got two kids (eldest is a tween). We switched to strips several years ago so they could help monitor the pool - a little ownership goes a long way. We're taking the plunge (pun intended) to SWG this year, so I've ordered a TF test kit to help maintain better control. Is the kit easy/safe enough for the kids, or should I just let them keep quick testing with the strips?

I was playing with chemistry sets when I was about 7 years old (with my mother or father supervising). It really depends on your kids. The kit does contain chemicals so they need to be instructed in the proper way to handle them and that the kit is NOT a toy.
There is nothing in the kit that is particularly dangerous when compared to common pool chemicals like chlorine and muriatic acid but it DOES contain some chemicals that need to be treated with common sense and respect, such as sodium hydroxide solution and dilute sulfuric acid. The OTO solution for the quick chlorine test contains dilute hydrochloric acid, not anywhere near as strong as the hydrochloric acid used to adjust pool pH. (Muriatic acid is the common name for hydrochloric acid.)
My suggestion would be to do the testing with them and make it a family activity!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.