Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How easy is the test kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

How easy is the test kit?

I ordered the TF test kit, I'll return the Walmart one. I did some overtime last week. Is it easy to use? I'm so not technical savy with things.
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

2. Back To Top    #2

The instructions are very clear and printed on the inside of the lid so you can read them while you do the tests. Also, the support here is fantastic should you have any questions about the tests.
    blubluenoiseise

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The test kit is extremely easy to use. The detailed instructions are very well written on the inside of the top of the kit. This was the best test kit I have ever used and I have seen a few good ones in the past few years. You shouldnt have no problem with it at all . The instructions will walk you through every step and is also very informative as to what the general levels of the test results should be at for perfect water chemistry.

Hope this helps
    Brian
    24' round Vinyl liner Doughboy 48" deep 52" sidewall
    1hp Doughboy pump w/timer
    Doughboy Silica II filter with Zeosand
    Raypak 180,00 btu heater
    BBB method
    Sundance Optima '97 450 gal. spa w/Delzone ozonator
    Beats driving to the lake, and I'm only a block away from the lake!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Look at my name , I can use it with no problem 8)
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    very simple, i found the hardest thing was to flick the right amount of water out of the cl/ph test block... i found a kaflink and a pap to get it to the line is the best way. The more i test the water the more i feel relaxed doing it. I even did a couple tests twice just because i wanted to see if i got the same answer twice.
    34k Gunite IGP, 8person attach spa, 4cart filter, 40k btu heater, , SWG, 3m marbelite finish, 12 panel fafco solar heater

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by brakes
    very simple, i found the hardest thing was to flick the right amount of water out of the cl/ph test block... i found a kaflink and a pap to get it to the line is the best way. The more i test the water the more i feel relaxed doing it. I even did a couple tests twice just because i wanted to see if i got the same answer twice.
    I use a squeeze bottle from Walmart (similar to the picnic catsup and mustard bottles, but clear), and get it right on the marks every time. Cost me $1.99 for two of them, IIRC.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    Quote Originally Posted by brakes
    I use a squeeze bottle from Walmart (similar to the picnic catsup and mustard bottles, but clear), and get it right on the marks every time. Cost me $1.99 for two of them, IIRC.
    Along those same lines, I use a bottle I got from Leslie's Pool for free. They give them out so you have a convenient way to take your water in to the store for testing. I know they don't mean for me to keep the bottle, but it works really well for running my own tests.
    blubluenoiseise

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

The instructions are very easy. I use the empty R-0013 CYA Reagent bottle to fill the other vials.
    AGP, 21'x41'x52", Vinyl liner, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I've got two kids (eldest is a tween). We switched to strips several years ago so they could help monitor the pool - a little ownership goes a long way. We're taking the plunge (pun intended) to SWG this year, so I've ordered a TF test kit to help maintain better control. Is the kit easy/safe enough for the kids, or should I just let them keep quick testing with the strips?
    West Texas
    18' AGP - 48" frame pool (deeper in some spots)
    2500 gph Intex pump/cartridge filter
    Intex SWG on order

10. Back To Top    #10
    I was playing with chemistry sets when I was about 7 years old (with my mother or father supervising). It really depends on your kids. The kit does contain chemicals so they need to be instructed in the proper way to handle them and that the kit is NOT a toy.
    There is nothing in the kit that is particularly dangerous when compared to common pool chemicals like chlorine and muriatic acid but it DOES contain some chemicals that need to be treated with common sense and respect, such as sodium hydroxide solution and dilute sulfuric acid. The OTO solution for the quick chlorine test contains dilute hydrochloric acid, not anywhere near as strong as the hydrochloric acid used to adjust pool pH. (Muriatic acid is the common name for hydrochloric acid.)
    My suggestion would be to do the testing with them and make it a family activity!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks. That was my plan, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some advice while I wait on shipment. It'll be interesting to see what my real levels are vs ballpark figures from the strips.
    West Texas
    18' AGP - 48" frame pool (deeper in some spots)
    2500 gph Intex pump/cartridge filter
    Intex SWG on order