I have been reading about using the borax and muriatic acid

Jun 26, 2013
This is my first year having a pool. I have an above ground 15"X48" Intex metal frame pool and I have 4000 gals. of water in it. Also, I am using a salt water chlorinator. I have been reading about using the borax and muriatic acid to kind of stabalize the pH levels. My question is how much 20 Team Mule Borax and muriatic acid do I have to use for my 4000 Gals. of water? Thanks

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

shygurl121985 said:
This is my first year having a pool. I have an above ground 15"X48" Intex metal frame pool and I have 4000 gals. of water in it. Also, I am using a salt water chlorinator. I have been reading about using the borax and muriatic acid to kind of stabalize the pH levels. My question is how much 20 Team Mule Borax and muriatic acid do I have to use for my 4000 Gals. of water? Thanks

Using the Pool calculator you would need 235 ounces of borax by weight and 112 ounces of 31.45 muriatic acid.

Before you add borates, you should make sure your Total Alkalinity (TA) level is low. A higher TA leads to a faster rise in pH. Do you have a proper test kit such as the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 where the former has more volume of reagents you use the most? If not, then get the test kit first and please post a full set of results.

If you have not already done so, read the Pool School for more information, especially Water Balance for SWGs.

At the time I have 6way test strips and everything is in the normal range after adding muriatic acid yesterday, due to my pH level and Alkalinity being high. Well my Alkalinity I have to about 80 but now my pH is reading a bit low. I am curious about adding the borates to the pool to help the TA and pH levels change constantly. Im just scared on how much to add. Like I said I have a 15" X 48" Intex above ground pool with a capacity of 4440 gallons at 90% full. I have about 4000 gallons in it.

Re: I have been reading about using the borax and muriatic a

Test strips are next to useless. On the other hand, your pool is relatively small but we're not talking about an algae or cloudy problem where you could change the water so again I would recommend you get the proper test kit. If you really don't want to get the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006, then at least get the HTH 6-way Test Kit from Walmart that is a drop-based kit. At least then you'll get a more accurate TA reading. I'd then lower the TA as described in Lowering Total Alkalinity before you try adding borates. Also, you'll want to target a higher pH and not try and lower it below 7.5 once you've added the borates.

By the way, though your pH might be rising over time, the TA should not be changing constantly, but again this might be your lousy test strips. With a saltwater chlorine generator, the TA should be fairly stable though the pH will tend to rise. You might also try pointing your return downward diagonally to have the chlorine bubbles stay in the water longer to have them more likely to get dissolved. This will also be better for the pool's circulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.