Fighting a losing battle?

KatyO

Jun 4, 2013
So my friends got to enjoy their sparkly pool for approximately 10 seconds before things got ugly. At the end of my last post (see "Converted friend to BBB - now fighting metal stains") I posted a picture of some sludge that was in the pool the day after adding sequestrant. My first thought was that the metals fell out of solution but that isn't the case.

As another poster pointed out there are many trees in this backyard. Turns out one of them is diseased and that sludge is a kind of fungus that is dropping from the tree. GROSS. They are in the process of getting bids to have the tree removed (no cure - just removal from what the arborist said) but in the interim the pool has already gone cloudy....even with constant manual vacuuming and running a Polaris.

Clearly they will need to go through the shock process - but when? From what I understand it could be the weekend before the tree is removed - shouldn't they wait until the fungus has stopped falling to start shocking? Otherwise what is the point, right?

Other than keeping the free chlorine in the recommended range (or even at the higher end of the range) and cleaning as much debris out of the pool as frequently as possible - what else is recommended?

THANKS!!

Thanks Bama!

Your response reinforced my gut instinct that shocking now would be a waste of time, effort, and bleach. Hopefully the tree can come down soon and they can get back to enjoying the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.