Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fighting a losing battle?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fighting a losing battle?

So my friends got to enjoy their sparkly pool for approximately 10 seconds before things got ugly. At the end of my last post (see "Converted friend to BBB - now fighting metal stains") I posted a picture of some sludge that was in the pool the day after adding sequestrant. My first thought was that the metals fell out of solution but that isn't the case.

As another poster pointed out there are many trees in this backyard. Turns out one of them is diseased and that sludge is a kind of fungus that is dropping from the tree. GROSS. They are in the process of getting bids to have the tree removed (no cure - just removal from what the arborist said) but in the interim the pool has already gone cloudy....even with constant manual vacuuming and running a Polaris.

Clearly they will need to go through the shock process - but when? From what I understand it could be the weekend before the tree is removed - shouldn't they wait until the fungus has stopped falling to start shocking? Otherwise what is the point, right?

Other than keeping the free chlorine in the recommended range (or even at the higher end of the range) and cleaning as much debris out of the pool as frequently as possible - what else is recommended?

THANKS!!
    ~35K gal, IG vinyl Grecian shape, Haywood sand filter, Polaris 380 (called "Buddy")
    located in central Arkansas
    Built in 1986 and looks better than ever!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fighting a losing battle?

Keeping the FC up and the pool as clean as possible is about all they can do until the threat is gone. They could go ahead and start shocking and it would help, but it would prolong the process.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bama!

Your response reinforced my gut instinct that shocking now would be a waste of time, effort, and bleach. Hopefully the tree can come down soon and they can get back to enjoying the pool!
    ~35K gal, IG vinyl Grecian shape, Haywood sand filter, Polaris 380 (called "Buddy")

4. Back To Top    #4

Fill the pool with cheap beach balls or float rings and haul a tarp over it all. No more debris in the water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I like the way you think Richard!!