cloudy after shocking

Jun 18, 2010
Mississipppi
This is my 4rd year with the pool. Still newbie.
First year was Baqacil then I switched to chlorine and I am sticking with it.

Not sure why this is happening. This year every time I SHOCK the pool its cloudy for DAYS I have to back flush to get it clear.

Years before this year I did not have this issue. I would shock it then I would simply vacuum up some undissolved particles the next day.
The pool would be clear.

Right now the PH and ALK are all in OK levels. I don't understand why its soo cloudy for soo long, after shocking.

Any ideas and tips?

Test results please. We cannot advise you without them. :goodjob:

You pool experience would be so much better if you invested in a reliable test kit. :goodjob:

ETA: I just looked at the link of your pool and it's very nice. I would even go as far as *fancy*. With that said and the investment that you've put into your back yard oasis, I just don't understand why you wouldn't want a reliable test kit to go along with that nice pool?

Check the chlorine you are using and make sure it is REGULAR bleach not scented. I also remember someone mentioning not to use a type of bleach as it some type of thickening agent in it and cause cloudy water.

Posted by Chem Geek
Generic, regular, UNSCENTED bleach. NOT outdoor, splash-less, etc. Concentrated is OK, but the outdoor and splash-less varieties have thickeners in them that will foam or cloud your pool, at least temporarily. The newer Clorox regular bleach is now 8.25% whereas it used to be 6% and these are fine to use. Off-brand Ultra bleach is fine, again if it's not a specialty (outdoor, splash-less) bleach.

Yes I know I need to invest in better test kit, but this is what my Chlorine Pro AquaChek test strips say.
TC 10+
FC 3
PH 7.7
ALK 130
Cyanaric Acid 30-50 PPM Ideal range.

I just shocked the day before with 2 bags of rapid shock from poollife and the tablets I use are sometimes from poollife but I think this batch is from Nu Clo the 7 day tablets. I put them in as needed which is usually 2 tablets in the skimmer ever 3rd day. I control my PH with baking soda.

My best guess, and it's only a guess because your strips (ugh) don't test CH, is that you might be getting calcium clouding because CH is too high. A pic or two of your pool water would be very helpful.

Your pool can be brought to crystal clear but it's going to take staying out of the pool store, getting your own kit, (a good one) and learning much more about your pool water chemistry. Here's a good place to start...

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Do NOT use baking soda to control pH....that's not what it's for.

The problem is likely the "rapid shock" you are using, looking at the MSDS sheet it is Cal Hypo, which adds calcium as well as chlorine to your pool and is prone to cause clouding issues, a side effect is driving your calcium levels up, once they get too high they can cause calcium scaling, damage to pool heaters and other equipment, etc. This is part of the reason we strongly suggest only using liquid chlorine / bleach for chlorination.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.