Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hole in skimmer side wall

1. Back To Top    #1

Hole in skimmer side wall

I bought our house from foreclosure last fall and the pool hadn't been used in a few years. It is an indoor inground pool.

I have a hole in the sidewall of my skimmer (see picture (if the upload worked)). I was told by a pool contractor that as a temp fix I could fill the small void behind the hole and use a 2 part epoxy to seal/fix the hole so that we could fill the pool and test equipment and lines. Does anyone have any recommendations on an epoxy that will work best for this? The pool is empty so I can do this fix in dry conditions.

Also, as you can see in the picture, there is a black ring in the skimmer. Any suggestions for the best cleaners/methods to get rid of this? I haven't tried anything yet.

Thanks,
    Cody
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Empty 16'x32'x(8' deep end & 4' shallow end) indoor inground pool, ~23,000 gallon, Sta-Rite 3/4HP pump, Minimax 150M Plus millivolt heater, Heldor PF-50 sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWCG (T-Cell-15)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hole in skimmer side wall

Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on the black ring.

That's most likely PVC or ABS plastic so you could patch it with a piece of thin PVC and some all purpose (PVC, CPVC, ABS) glue. If you go with the epoxy then A+B marine putty should work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on the black ring.

That's most likely PVC or ABS plastic so you could patch it with a piece of thin PVC and some all purpose (PVC, CPVC, ABS) glue. If you go with the epoxy then A+B marine putty should work.
    Thanks. Now I just need to find a piece of PVC that I can make to fit the curve of the skimmer.
    Empty 16'x32'x(8' deep end & 4' shallow end) indoor inground pool, ~23,000 gallon, Sta-Rite 3/4HP pump, Minimax 150M Plus millivolt heater, Heldor PF-50 sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWCG (T-Cell-15)

4. Back To Top    #4

After looking more at the pic, it looks there is a crack going down to the bottom of the skimmer below the hole. Is it or is that an illusion?
    My repair advice doesn't change, you just need a bigger piece. If you know a plumber you may be able to get a piece of 6" or so DWV pipe about a foot long that they have lying around. It's thin enough that you could split it open, heat it and form it to fit the skimmer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I was uncertain too if there was a crack or if that is some debris. I would certainly try and clean the area well before attempting a patch. Magic erasers, as suggested, are great for pool scum.

Also, You may not get all of the stain off of the plastic at this point. As you run your pool and get the chlorine levels within range, you will likely see some of the staining fade over time.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    After looking more at the pic, it looks there is a crack going down to the bottom of the skimmer below the hole. Is it or is that an illusion?
    My repair advice doesn't change, you just need a bigger piece. If you know a plumber you may be able to get a piece of 6" or so DWV pipe about a foot long that they have lying around. It's thin enough that you could split it open, heat it and form it to fit the skimmer.
    Nope. That's just a string of cobweb with dust in it. There's a lot of that in and around my pool. It's going to take a good cleaning before I can get it filled. I'll have to see what I can come up with for a large diameter piece of pipe.

Thanks for your help.

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't believe you have not provided pics of the whole pool for us to oogle over, cob webs and all.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    I can't believe you have not provided pics of the whole pool for us to oogle over, cob webs and all.
    Alright, here's a couple of pictures. The second one is of the ceiling from when we went to look at the house. It was a stucco type finish on drywall that was nailed to the rafters. Not too surprisingly, about two thirds of this ceiling had collapsed. The first picture shows the wood ceiling we now have in place. And it also shows a lot of dirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

Nice ceiling replacement!!
    Starla
    1993 22x42(40K gal) vinyl Grecian, inground
    Aquarite SWG, Hayward s244t sand filter & 1hp Hayward pump, polaris 380 w/booster pump and dedicated return.
    2 skimmer baskets, main drain, 3 returns along wall, 2 at steps

Taylor K-2006