Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Convert from SWG to Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Convert from SWG to Chlorine

I'm thinking about converting my pool to a regular ol' chlorine pool. We bought this house with a 6 year old pool and I believe the SWG maybe on it's last leg (2 years and 3 months old). We have had major issues with out flagstone coping and apparently the white plaster (calcium scaling I believe) issues we have was due to the previous owner and their pool company not maintaining the pool correctly.

Anyway i was curious as to what is actually involved in converting from SWG to chlorine. I tried to do a search but they all result in the opposite going from chlorine to salt.

Thanks
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Convert from SWG to Chlorine

It's as easy as shutting down the swg and start maintaining the FC with Bleach. You may want to lower the CYA a bit if it's at swg levels, but that's about it. Follow the normally chlorinated pool levels.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

When you say, shutting down the SWG, do you mean unplugging the salt cell from the AquaLogic? Is it really that easy? No need to drain the pool or anything?
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k

4. Back To Top    #4

No need to drain the pool or anything. Just turn the swg off and/or unplug it. Like I said, you may want to drain a little to get rid of some of the CYA if it's high. However, if it's in the 70 ppm range you can live with it if you want to maintain the FC that high.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Bama, the CYA is about 40 right now, the FC was 1.2 last time I tested which was about 2 days ago.

6. Back To Top    #6

If the CYA is at 40 ppm I'd just raise the FC to about 5 ppm and shut down the swg.

You'll have to test and adjust the FC every day for a while since you haven't been doing that. Once you learn how much it uses you may be able to dose for two days.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

If you think the salt is responsible for the flagstone damage, you would need to drain/refill to get ride of the salt.
    Maryland
    18000 gallon plaster pool, Pentair Triton II sand filter, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 300 gas heater, 1.0 HP two-speed Pentair Superflo, Polaris 380
    Caldera Marino hot tub, 360 gallon