Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rookie Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Rookie Questions

First off, great site. I have learned so much from just reading!

So I closed on a house in Atlanta on Monday with a 17,250 gallon pool with spa and waterfall. The previous owner was paying to have a company maintain it. I like doing things on my own, or at least attempting first lol.

Anyways, the pool has an automatic chlorinator full of tablets that seems to keep it well chlorinated but from reading here I now realize this is likely raising the cya levels. I tested the water today.

FC 4
    TC 4
    CH 300
    CYA 100
    TA 90
    PH 7.4

Water is clear and looks great. The previous owner left a decent amount of power powder plus. I assume based on my volume about 2 1lb bags of the powder a week should maintain my chlorine and let evaporation lower my CYA level? Any other advice or should I be doing something different? Thanks in advance, you guys are great!
    15000 gallon in ground pool.
    White Plaster, Tucson Az
    Duel Speed Pump with Sand Filter.
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rookie Questions

Assuming your CYA should be around 40-50, it is going to take the evaporation of 8000 gallons to get to where you want to be. Thats a lot of evaporation!
    29k gallon IG guninte lagoon shape.

3. Back To Top    #3

Couple of questions.

What test kit are you using?
    That CYA level of 100 could be suspect, the test doesn't go higher than 100, you may have to dilute 1/2 pool water and 1/2 tap water and run the CYA test to see what the result is, then double it for a true CYA reading.

CYA will not go down via evaporation, it stays in the pool. Only way to lower it is with water replacement.
    (Someone correct me if I am wrong)
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers

4. Back To Top    #4

I ordered the tf-100, it isn't in yet. I took a sample to Leslie's for them to test everything.
    White Plaster, Tucson Az
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

Now for the bad news... That CYA is waaaay high, and it's going to just keep getting worse as long as you feed it a steady diet of trichlor pucks. It doesn't go away in any meaningful amounts except by draining and refilling. Bad news continued: that power powder plus is Cal-hypo, which raises Calcium Hardness, and you're already at 300, which is a nice number. If it gets much higher, it won't be so nice. Like CYA, it also doesn't go away except by draining and refilling.

Your Free Chlorine Level is too low for that CYA level - it should never dip below 7, and since you lose some every day to sunlight and oxidizing organics that end up in the pool, you need to shoot for about 10.
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

I see your results came from the pool store. I wouldn't trust them. Check out this guy's experience. inconsistency-in-readings-t61728.html

[center:9awqb25k][/center:9awqb25k]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, so I should do a partial drain and refill, then would I be ok to continue using pucks? Or are those also raising my calcium hardness as well?
    White Plaster, Tucson Az
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ajulian3
    Ok, so I should do a partial drain and refill, then would I be ok to continue using pucks? Or are those also raising my calcium hardness as well?
    Hold off on doing anything drastic until you get test results you can trust. Just raise FC using bleach for now.

And the short answer is No. You cannot use pucks. Why drain it only to start building it up again? The pucks will keep for years if they're kept dry. Save them for vacations.

Now, off to Pool School With you!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok thanks. I'm off to buy bleach. The pool calculator says I need about 107oz to raise fc to 7. Does that sound right? How often roughly will I need to add bleach?
    White Plaster, Tucson Az
    TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ajulian3
    Ok thanks. I'm off to buy bleach. The pool calculator says I need about 107oz to raise fc to 7. Does that sound right? How often roughly will I need to add bleach?
    Daily.
    pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule

10. Back To Top    #10

And the 7 is the minimum, target for 10 and it'll drop during the day. When you test if it's below 7 regularly then you may need to target for 11.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320