Need a plan for dispensing Diet Coke syrup

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
You guys are all smart, right? Know a lot about beverages and moving liquids? I want some ideas about how to pump bulk (5 gal.container) Diet Coke from my basement to my kitchen.

I bought my wife a SodaStream for Christmas and she was all excited about it until she got a taste of what passes for SS's diet cola. Not good. We were looking for a way to replace all of those 12 oz. cans of Diet Coke she drinks, and so we went to Gordon Food Service and found the DC in bulk. Fine. We brought it home, divided it up into 1-gal. jugs (with a minimal amount of spillage) and put a 1.5-gal, dispenser in the fridge. All she had to do was add about 3/4 of a cup of syrup to a 1-liter SS bottle of our chilled, carbonated reverse osmosis water. Voila!

Now we're about to open her second 5 gallons and I want to store it in the basement directly below the kitchen and figure out some way to pump it up to the kitchen, 3/4s of a cup at a time. Running some sort of vacuum line from the basement through the floor shouldn't be any problem. I just don't want it to be too expensive or mechanized. Any suggestions?

You could use an RV water pump and a single bar faucet. The pumps have a built in pressure switch that starts them when the faucet is opened and stops it when the faucet is closed. If the syrup isn't too viscous, it should work fine.

Sounds like a great idea! One thing to remember, don't try to pull the syrup from the top (at the dispenser) using vacuum but rather push it from the basement using pressure. Distilled water can only be pulled 42 ft vertically using a vacuum and the syrup, which i believe is more dense, would have a lower vertical range.

:cheers:

Has she tried the Diet Coke from fountains? It doesn't taste the same as from bottles or cans. The fountain DC contains saccharin as well as aspartame for sweeteners while the bottles and cans only have aspartame. I don't like the bitter taste of diet fountain drinks. Some people don't notice the difference but I sure can.

By the way, Coca Cola is not just a drink around our house. It is a design theme. Our kitchen is red and white diner style. We have a restored 50's Coke machine and syrup dispenser (non functioning). It probably cost as much to run the old Coke machine as it does the pool.

Bluechip said:
Has she tried the Diet Coke from fountains? It doesn't taste the same as from bottles or cans. The fountain DC contains saccharin as well as aspartame for sweeteners while the bottles and cans only have aspartame. I don't like the bitter taste of diet fountain drinks. Some people don't notice the difference but I sure can.

By the way, Coca Cola is not just a drink around our house. It is a design theme. Our kitchen is red and white diner style. We have a restored 50's Coke machine and syrup dispenser (non functioning). It probably cost as much to run the old Coke machine as it does the pool.

Essentially that's what we have, a 5-gal. bulk container of the Diet Coke mix. I don't know which sweeteners it has. I personally think it tastes like cough syrup. I'm more of a Dr. Pepper man. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seems you could buy a pump from one of the restaurant supply companies.

Like this http://www.chicompany.net/index.php...d=3218&zenid=1ba2259254709d30d5c989aa2a7163d8

Flowjet%20Syrup%20Pump%20-%20New.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.