Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need a plan for dispensing Diet Coke syrup

1. Back To Top    #1

Need a plan for dispensing Diet Coke syrup

You guys are all smart, right? Know a lot about beverages and moving liquids? I want some ideas about how to pump bulk (5 gal.container) Diet Coke from my basement to my kitchen.

I bought my wife a SodaStream for Christmas and she was all excited about it until she got a taste of what passes for SS's diet cola. Not good. We were looking for a way to replace all of those 12 oz. cans of Diet Coke she drinks, and so we went to Gordon Food Service and found the DC in bulk. Fine. We brought it home, divided it up into 1-gal. jugs (with a minimal amount of spillage) and put a 1.5-gal, dispenser in the fridge. All she had to do was add about 3/4 of a cup of syrup to a 1-liter SS bottle of our chilled, carbonated reverse osmosis water. Voila!

Now we're about to open her second 5 gallons and I want to store it in the basement directly below the kitchen and figure out some way to pump it up to the kitchen, 3/4s of a cup at a time. Running some sort of vacuum line from the basement through the floor shouldn't be any problem. I just don't want it to be too expensive or mechanized. Any suggestions?
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need a plan for dispensing Diet Coke syrup

You could use an RV water pump and a single bar faucet. The pumps have a built in pressure switch that starts them when the faucet is opened and stops it when the faucet is closed. If the syrup isn't too viscous, it should work fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like a great idea! One thing to remember, don't try to pull the syrup from the top (at the dispenser) using vacuum but rather push it from the basement using pressure. Distilled water can only be pulled 42 ft vertically using a vacuum and the syrup, which i believe is more dense, would have a lower vertical range.

11000 gal IG pool, pebbletec surface, Cartridge filter, In Floor cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

What about one of these RV hand pumps? Do you think it would draw the Diet Coke mix up no more than 6 feet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Rocket-H ... c1&vxp=mtr
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

5. Back To Top    #5

Those things work pretty well, but they have to be pumped and if she's like my DW, she won't like that for very long.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You could always do something like this ?

http://www.sidebarbeverage.com/product-features
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by toofast
    You could always do something like this ?

http://www.sidebarbeverage.com/product-features
    That's a slick outfit but way too much for this job. She's telling me she's fine with jugs and the fridge dispenser. Where's the fun in that?!

8. Back To Top    #8

Has she tried the Diet Coke from fountains? It doesn't taste the same as from bottles or cans. The fountain DC contains saccharin as well as aspartame for sweeteners while the bottles and cans only have aspartame. I don't like the bitter taste of diet fountain drinks. Some people don't notice the difference but I sure can.

By the way, Coca Cola is not just a drink around our house. It is a design theme. Our kitchen is red and white diner style. We have a restored 50's Coke machine and syrup dispenser (non functioning). It probably cost as much to run the old Coke machine as it does the pool.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip
    Has she tried the Diet Coke from fountains? It doesn't taste the same as from bottles or cans. The fountain DC contains saccharin as well as aspartame for sweeteners while the bottles and cans only have aspartame. I don't like the bitter taste of diet fountain drinks. Some people don't notice the difference but I sure can.

By the way, Coca Cola is not just a drink around our house. It is a design theme. Our kitchen is red and white diner style. We have a restored 50's Coke machine and syrup dispenser (non functioning). It probably cost as much to run the old Coke machine as it does the pool.
    Essentially that's what we have, a 5-gal. bulk container of the Diet Coke mix. I don't know which sweeteners it has. I personally think it tastes like cough syrup. I'm more of a Dr. Pepper man.

10. Back To Top    #10

It only takes 5psi to move Diet Coke. It's less viscous than regular Coke. It takes about 12-15 to move regular Coke.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Seems you could buy a pump from one of the restaurant supply companies.

Like this http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?...c989aa2a7163d8

-- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100