Confused about Pentair Suntouch Controller

Jan 12, 2012
Hi All,
I have an Suntouch controller ( about 3 months old) connected to a Intelliflo VS and a Intellichlor. I have just a single pool, no values, no features, no dedicated vacuum line. I have tried on several occasions to program the Suntouch but I loose my patience really quick with this thing. This thing is a "clickamajig" and worst than using MS Windows!
Anyway, I have it configured for simple "Pool" whereby I can turn on the pump by hitting "Menu" > "Right Arrow" > "Down Arrow" to turn it on. Same thing for turning it off. That is it.
What I am trying to do is to have several separate pump speeds like one for normal scheduled use, one for automatic vacuum and finally one for manual vacuuming. I have tried going to 12/14(Pump) >IntellifloVS > and then setting the speeds for different Circuits but I do not know how to turn these circuits on of even if this is the correct way to accomplish this.
If anyone can help out with this it would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks John

Most things in Pentair land are Aux circuits. You define an Aux circuit and then assign it a pump speed. The pump will automatically switch to the speed of the highest speed circuit that is currently turned on.

Aux 1 has a physical button for on/off, Aux 2 & 3 can be turned on/off from the Circuit On/Off menu.

ok im still confused. im sorry.

I basically just want to run the pump at 2400 rpms while heating through natural gas heater

1800 rpms during the day 8 hours to help maintain CL, (at least start there and improvise as conditions require)

night time cut it down to 1000 rpms to keep circulation?

so how do i do this? through the circuit menu or pump menu on the ST that is where im stumped.

Assign 2400 rpm to the heater, 1000 rpm to the pump and make an aux with a schedule and assign 1800 rpm to it.

By the by, you don't need anywhere near that much pump runtime. 4 to 6 hours a day is usually more than enough.

Your heater speed looks good. You should be able to turn that down a little, I suspect 2000 will still be good, but you are in the right ballpark.

For the SWG, your best bet is to experiment with the speeds, finding the lowest speed that the SWG is happy with, then turn that up 200 or 300 rpm above the lowest speed that words, and call that your SWG speed. One extra check, if your SWG speed is below 1000 rpm, use 1000 rpm, since that is the most efficient speed on the pump. Then set it up to run between 4 and 6 hours a day at that speed, preferably split into two or three blocks spread out around the clock. There is no need to run the pump longer than that unless you need more chlorine output from the SWG or are heating and want more time with the heater on.

Sort of, I'm not sure over-ride is the right word. The pump runs at the highest speed of all the circuits that are currently on. If the heater is on, it will have the highest pump speed configured, so the pump will run at that speed. If in the future you make some other circuit with a higher speed, that speed will be used when that circuit is turned on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank god I found this post, because I was about to lose my fricking mind trying to set up suntouch to control pump with multiple speeds. Whoever put together manual and designed logic on suntouch controller should be shot. Geez!!! Thanks again guys for connecting the dots. Preset priming setting doesn't help figure this stuff out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.