Return jet in fiberglass stairs

Jun 26, 2013
Hi all,

I am new here, my fiance and I have had our inground pool for 3 years now, this year we finally learned how to quickly clear up the algae on our own when we opened it after a long winter and I thought for sure we finally would have a summer where we wouldnt have to call the pool guys for help...and then this happened...

We have a 20x40 inground pool with a vinyl liner and fiberglass stairs. The return jets were shooting straight at the bottom of the pool and as a result nothing was getting pushed into the skimmer so I wanted to direct them just slightly upwards. We have the eyeball jets. When I tried to do this I could not move the eyeballs so I tried to unscrew the fitting the holds the eyeballs to loosen it a bit but I couldnt. I decided to use pump pliers (sorry I think thats what theyre called I am not exactly familiar with tools :oops: ) . I decided to try first on the return that is in the fiberglass stairs because I did not want to slip and ruin the liner itself. Instead of loosening the the piece that holds the eyeball I accidentally unscrewed the actual housing that you screw the winter plugs and return jet with eyeball into. There is a black gasket behind it and it has male threads. However, I cannot screw it back in and now my pool is losing water. I am unable to see anything else because the stupid eyeball still wont come out! I am scared to pull it all the way out because I have no idea what it was connected to... I am going to cry if I broke the return pipes and need to rip up our concrete to get to it! If anyone has a suggestion other than waiting a week for the next available pool service person to come to the house, at which point my pool will be full of algae please HELP!!!

I can post a pic when I get home but you really cant see much at all, I was hoping if I could at least get the eyeball out I could see what the piece I screwed out accidentally is supposed to screw into and that would help me screw it back in, but no such luck.

Also, any idea why it would be so hard to unscrew? We never had this problem before. We opened the pool ourselves and took out the winter plugs and put the return with eyeball back in ourselves so I know there is no glue or anything. My fiance swears he did not overtighten them. The filter was off so there shouldnt have been pressure from that...

Ashley

Welcome to TFP.

A picture would definitely help. If you did manage to unscrew the wall fitting you probably won't be able to just screw it back in. However, there a few things you can try. If it's connected with tubing and not hard pipe and you didn't break the tubing you may be able to seal it back in place with silicone sealant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.