Shocking pool, Question?

May 25, 2013
Oklahoma
After fighting the ph/MA battle, the SWG quitting, and trying to convert to chlorine, our pool turned a rather lovely color of green. Started the shock treatment yesterday and now the water is more of a murky gray/blue than green. The directions mention that I need to brush the pool at this stage, but I was wondering if it was safe for me to get in the pool with the high chlorine to brush it, or am I supposed to just do it the best I can from the outside? Also there is zero shade around our pool, so the water is very warm, is that going to make the process longer??

So I've put 10 containers of bleach in my pool I the past 24 hours. I think the people at the store think I'm making meth or something at this point lol. I still can't keep the FC levels up ad they drop when I check every hour. I hooked up the vacuum and started going over the bottom of the pool to stir things up and my sand filter isn't catching neary all the junk. my vacuum keeps picking up this insanely red/brown stuff and the water out of the return just runs red. I rigged a sock over the return to help catch the stuff, but after five minutes its solid red and I have to stop to rinse. Is the red algae? I can't see it on the bottom because my water is too cloudy. I'm just aware of it when the return water changes. My pool water without vacuuming is gray/blue an murky.

I think you may be overloading your filter. At the first sign of it returning dirt to the pool, it needs to be backwashed thoroughly. You may have to do this every fifteen minutes at first but it's that's how you keep it out of the pool.

Alternatively, you may be able to vacuum to "waste" which will bypass the filter and get rid of the junk. You will need to replace the water you lose.

2C439E8C-003C-49A9-8C0C-EC8A0E298131-1672-00000210AF194612_zpsf39381c7.jpg

Here is the once white sock

A66A0A38-8C8F-4C7E-BED7-C90C6460B118-2570-0000034738E507F8_zps2c299a69.jpg

Here is the pool today. Not much change from yesterday. Went to vacuum the walls and brushed up lots of clumps of algae. Mid vacuuming I also realized that my hose had came loose and I was just brushing. :( oh well. Better than nothing. Going to be over 100 today so I'm back to checking every hour just to make sure the sun isn't zapping too much chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also wondering if some clarifier would help clump the iron deposited together so they would get sucked up by the filter. I tried vacuuming them again today and as soon as I hit an area of it the return water ran red. I stopped backwashed, not much came out, then tried again and still the same. I've read that iron is harder to remove though.

08D0C66A-7DF9-490C-9FFF-BF778FE6DB1B-2900-0000037BA2987BB0_zpsd2306f5d.jpg

Went and picke up some DE today to add to my sand filter to help it out. The pool isn't green at all just cloudy. I'm a little nervous to use the DE since it could be a skin irritant ect. Also all I could find was a 25lb bag. A lifetime supply I think.

Where has this DE stuff been all my life??? I can't tell much for the overall clarity of the pool, but I ran the vacuum, and could see red water running into the pump and it wasn't red coming out of the return. I'm considering that a small victory. I backwashed and nothing much came out again, but I'm actually hopeful about the water clearing which is a first. My husban and I were both ready to give up and drain it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.