Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 4 inches of rain should help the CYA!

1. Back To Top    #1

4 inches of rain should help the CYA!

4 inches of rain in the past 2 days. Not good for swimming but lots of free water to help with the high cya problem. Time to go drain it down again so I can run the pump.
    I am liking the liquid chlorine we switched to after discovering the high cya (150). I used to have to take apart the auto feeder to check the tablets and then try to regulate how much chlorine was going into the pool thru the feeder. It was a pain. Now I can just dump in the proper amount of liquid chlorine to get the level up to where I need it. Also the 1" tablets were very expensive and since we get full sun 10 hours a day we went thru a lot of them (thus the high cya issue).
    Pool is holding its own so far even with high cya and high alkalinity (200). Working on bringing both down but as of now we are staying crystal clear with no algae and minimal chlorine smell.
    18'X 36' Free form vinyl, 8' - 3'deep, Pentair 1.5 hp pump,Sta-rite 3.14 hi rate sand filter, pool frog and New water online chlorinator , 3 deck water shooters, deck solar heat, solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: 4 inches of rain should help the CYA!

Very nice work. You are a BBB'r
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Divert a downspout to the pool and you can double or triple the amount of CYA-free water you get with each storm.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Howell, NJ

Funny, I have the opposite problem. I have been trying to raise my CYA since opening with trichlor, but the rain is making that impossible for me. I've gotten 12.24" of rain this month, which means the little bit of CYA the tabs put in gets washed right out.
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Eastern Ohio

I'm needing to add some too. Before this storm we had a 30PPM level, but I've had to drain out about 1000gallons so far and the level is still high. I'm guessing about another 1000 gallons needs to go. When I tested on Wednesday I could see the dot the entire time so I tossed in a few bags of "shock" hoping to raise the CYA enough to at least get a reading. I'll also need to add acid to lower the PH for the first time this year as that went up quickly too.

Pool got a good vacuuming and brushing too.