Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help with Backwash!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help with Backwash!

Hey Everyone,

I just moved into a house with an IG Pool, the filter pressure is rather high and it needs to be flushed. When I start the pump it runs great for about 30 seconds, then pressure builds to high and flow rate drops to the point that vacuum stops running.

So I read through the pool school on how to back-flash, my problem comes in on actually adjusting the lever. I turn the pump off. let all the flow stop, and then try and push the valve down. It wont budge. There is a locking sleeve that I can turn that will allow the pump lever to push down. But no matter how hard I press, (well stopped when I thought the plastic would give) I cant get it to adjust.

Any help would be great. Also, what setting would be back-flush, and other rinse?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15000 gallon in ground pool.
    White Plaster, Tucson Az
    Duel Speed Pump with Sand Filter.
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Help with Backwash!

I am curious what make and model your sand filter is...
    22'x52" AG Ultra Frame Intex - 12,500 gal (47K liter)
    Manual Liquid Chlorine - 1HP 100# Hayward sand filter
    Lots of sun, trees, pollen & wind - 50ppm Borates
    4nd season grateful TFP fan

3. Back To Top    #3

That's a Pentair slide valve and it only has two positions. Filter and backwash. There is no rinse.

Are you twisting the valve handle from the resting position?
    Is the top pipe out of the valve Pool or waste?

Once you clear the stop pin the valve should slide down. It may be stuck and require a good rap to get it to move but there shouldn't be anything holding it. You may have to pull the top cap off and try to force it apart and see what's sticking.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I resolved it, I put some man power into the lever, crushed my finger when it went. I was tapping it with a rubber mallet at the same time on the sides to loosen it up and it went.

OW,

But wow now its running great, the self propelled vacuum is racing around the pool, I ran for about 30mins and pressure was climbing, not anywhere close to where it was but it raised up again. I reflushed. running even better now.

I think when they refinished it 3 weeks ago, that was the last time it was flushed, and its just been collecting gunk. First flush cleared the filters, 2nd one cleared the plumbing. I'll check it again this afternoon, maybe a 3rd quick flush. See how it goes.
    White Plaster, Tucson Az
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Also its a Triton II sand filter, model though I have no idea, I couldnt see any identification on it besides the first label.
    White Plaster, Tucson Az
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

It's probably a TR50 or TR60. You can measure the diameter of it and tell what model you have. The TR50 is 21½" dia (67½" circ) and the TR60 is 24½" dia (77" circ).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit