Need Help with Backwash!

Ugmul

Jun 13, 2013
Tucson Az
Hey Everyone,

I just moved into a house with an IG Pool, the filter pressure is rather high and it needs to be flushed. When I start the pump it runs great for about 30 seconds, then pressure builds to high and flow rate drops to the point that vacuum stops running.

So I read through the pool school on how to back-flash, my problem comes in on actually adjusting the lever. I turn the pump off. let all the flow stop, and then try and push the valve down. It wont budge. There is a locking sleeve that I can turn that will allow the pump lever to push down. But no matter how hard I press, (well stopped when I thought the plastic would give) I cant get it to adjust.

Any help would be great. Also, what setting would be back-flush, and other rinse?

Attachments

• pump1 (1).jpg
    pump1 (1).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 33
  • pump1 (2).jpg
    pump1 (2).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 33
That's a Pentair slide valve and it only has two positions. Filter and backwash. There is no rinse.

Are you twisting the valve handle from the resting position?
Is the top pipe out of the valve Pool or waste?

Once you clear the stop pin the valve should slide down. It may be stuck and require a good rap to get it to move but there shouldn't be anything holding it. You may have to pull the top cap off and try to force it apart and see what's sticking.

Well, I resolved it, I put some man power into the lever, crushed my finger when it went. I was tapping it with a rubber mallet at the same time on the sides to loosen it up and it went.

OW,

But wow now its running great, the self propelled vacuum is racing around the pool, I ran for about 30mins and pressure was climbing, not anywhere close to where it was but it raised up again. I reflushed. running even better now.

I think when they refinished it 3 weeks ago, that was the last time it was flushed, and its just been collecting gunk. First flush cleared the filters, 2nd one cleared the plumbing. I'll check it again this afternoon, maybe a 3rd quick flush. See how it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.