Concrete Overlay vs SunDek

Feb 26, 2012
We have an existing pool deck that is exposed aggregate. This pool deck butts up against a wooden deck and that butts up next to our concrete patio. Anyway we are looking to have the wood deck ripped out and have concrete poured then go over the aggregate, new pour and existing concrete with something consistent. Our options are concrete stamped overlay or some type of spray like SunDek.

I'd like peoples opinions one those who have done either with their pool deck and patio or have some feedback they'd like to pass along. I'm aware that the spray option is likely less expensive which is important but not the entire decision maker.

We have young kids and imagine having kids over all the time so durability is important, i'm aware of some certain things for each of the products such as a spray like SunDek will be much cooler to the feet than a concrete overlay. Any other experiences/observations?

Thanks

Concrete Overlays , spray , stamp , ect. is what i have done in my business since 2002. So i can lend some insight and also a professional opinion if needed.

In the short tho:

Both materials are essentially the same thing. Both a "portland" based material, both have acrylics/resins for movement and bonding. Both will require re-sealing at certain times. Both have unlimited colors to choose from. The big difference between the two are basically the look you can achieve and also of course the cost of each. Stamps being the most expensive. I personally love the look of a stamped overlay done correctly as opposed to just a "spray" pattern. However the durability is fine with both but you mention having a lot of kids running around.... the stamp pattern is MUCH more slippery then the Spray. The safety of your kids and the neighbors kids, ect usually come into play when thinking about which direction to go.

As far as a contractor/ MAnufacturer i can help you with that as well. Obviously I have nothing in this cause im from PA but i have used alot of different materials over the year and can at least help you locate the proper things you will need and the proper people you nned to speak with .

Hope this starts helping a little bit.

:cheers:

da-waterboy thanks for the info much appreciated. I've heard the spray products tend to be cooler than the concrete overlays. If they are essentially the same thing how is it possible the "sprays" are cooler?

Thanks

There are a few reasons, but the two easiest to explain are color and also the texture.

most stamps need a dark "antiquing" agent to make them look real. So they end up a darker color palette then most sprays.

also the spray has a "popcorn" type texture and you are only basically touching the high spots of the texture instead of 80 percent of the full texture of stamp. So if your foot is only in contact with 40 percent of a hot material instead of 80+ percent it tends to feel alot cooler then the later.

Our house already had a SunDek finish applied on the pool deck when we bought it. We've had to have the deck punched through a number of times for plumbing repairs and the SunDek finish has been able to be matched perfectly each time. Also stays pretty cool and it looks great. The texture does catch a lot of dirt, however, so once-a-year pressure washing is a must. Overall, I'm a fan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.